Berried

1. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

As some of you know i recently bought 9 shrimp only to learn that A) they are expensive betta snacks (lady at petco assured me the betta wouldnt be able to catch the shrimp), and B) filter type matters.

So i was ultra excited when 1 of 3 remaining shrimp turned out to be a female! I need to make up for that money loss. Only a few days after seeing her saddled i found her pinned in the plastic on my water wheel bubbler spinning in circles because it came unjammed (i jammed it because every single 1 of my mystery snails tried to fit in the tiny window, got stuck, and their poor faces got whacked repeatedly with the wheel). When i saw her spinning i freaked out! But she was still alive and i was able to free her. Well that's when i noticed she wasnt saddled anymore and was berried! Trying to have good faith, i went on with my day. I haven't seen her for a couple of days, she could be hiding in the house. The other 2 have been hanging out in my floating plants for a day or 2 and i think they are both males but hard to tell since they are pretty solid red, my female was only redish and i could see the eggs thru the clear spots.

I'm going to guess it takes a few weeks for the shrimp babies to develop. How does this work? I could Google it But i enjoy engaging here. Do they lay the eggs somewhere or do they hatch right out of the moms back end? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

When she gives birth tiny versions of her come out from under her saddle. The beta will likely eat them because they love shrimplets!

3. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

The 3 in the betta tank are long gone.

These ones are in a 30 gallon with mollys and corys. I need to buy a tank for the shrimps before there are babies.

4. Sarah73

You have 20-30 days to accomplish that:p. Your Molly WILL eat the shrimplets!!!

5. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Well if thats the case i need to just get the fish moved to the 55 gallon this weekend and then go from there on getting the shrimp moved. It sounds impossible i have no clue how to catch them. Too fast for me! But maybe ill trick them with some zucchini and then scoop them up.

6. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

May be wrong but I thought how it works is that the eggs are seen through her clear body as the saddle then she molts, lays them, gets them fertilised, and then tucks them under her tail and when that happens they are 'berried'. Then little shrimplets hatch from the eggs under her tail after a few weeks.

Sometimes when new mothers they do leave the eggs but those don't do well at all, if she has them tucked up under her tail ('berried') then she should carry her babies until they hatch out in a few weeks but they are indeed tasty so moss and hiding places are pretty needed then you may have some survive.

7. Sarah73

You are right, but the OP was asking if she gives birth to shrimplets or eggs.

8. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Also how they hatch I thought. I have been looking into it for a few weeks as mine are starting the reproduction process. I haven't seen many shrimplets through the plants but my first four cherries are turning into at least ten shrimp even with the nine guppies mulling about. I have loads of plant cover though and guppies are not mollies.

9. Sarah73

She said, "do they lay the eggs somewhere or do they hatch right out of the moms back end?" But that's very nice for her to hear about! I have a RCS tank only. I have around 20 shrimplets right now.

10. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Just decided nowhere better write about and pass on the things I read about in all my googling, weeks and weeks of googling haha. Also thought it was neat that inexperienced girls do just lay sometimes, though the eggs don't hatch that way. Info that stuck in my head for some reason.
    Cant say I know for sure if any of the shrimp have gotten eaten in my tank or if any will make it to adulthood but I hope they haven't been and that most do make it! Shrimp only tanks would be the way to go but I am hoping its possible to have a cherry population grow in a guppy tank. Hoping Lady has success with those baby shrimp! They are too cute.

11. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Get a mesh breeder ( like the one pictured ) and put your shrimp inside that inside your tank. This is the only way to protect them given the fish you have in your tank.

20160609_174049.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I have one and i thought of doing that but wont thought they climb out of it?

13. Junne

Not in my experience - if you keep the water level lower than the basket, they do not like to be out of the water long enough to make it over the top and out.

14. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Great to know thank you! This will help me get their own tank prepared. Any recommended size tanks or kits for dwarf shrimps? I feel like a 5 gallon would be good for the scape i have in mind and make cleaning a lot easier.

15. Junne

5 gallon is perfect. I have about 60 + babies + 10 or so adults in a 5 gallon right now.

Makes cleaning easy too.

16. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I got 2 out of 3 because they were in my floating plants i put some gravel in the bottom and half a marimo ball.

I just realized i have been feeding them shrimp pellets thinking they were food for shrimp. They are actually food made out of shrimp. Im slightly mortified.
    [​IMG]

17. Sarah73

Shrimp hate breeder nets because they are so high. They like the ground. If you are going to keep them in their add some Java moss

18. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I added gravel and marimo. They won't be there for long. Just until i get a tank set up for them.

19. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Haha mine eat the shrimp pellets I put in for guppy babies, never thought about it much but now I am slightly mortified. Now when I look at my tank it is like soylent green... soylent red.

20. Junne

Mine never had any problems. I just made sure it was covered with moss and marimo. I also kept the water down about 2 to 3 inches