Berried Rcs Eating Her Own Eggs

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Beetee, Jul 15, 2017.

1. BeeteeNew MemberMember

I've had my RCS tank for a couple of months now and it's been a huge struggle, so I was really excited today when I finally saw my first berried female! However, I have now noticed that she's doing everything she can to eat all of her own eggs off herself.

There's plenty of algae to graze on, plus supplemental food, so I don't think it's an issue of hunger. I've been testing parameters like crazy and everything is pristine. Has anyone seen this behavior before, and is there anything I can do about it? Up until now I haven't had any berried females, just a couple clutches of dropped eggs, so this is really upsetting.

2. VioletSS

VioletSSValued MemberMember

I can't help - but I'm setting up my own shrimp tank, so I'm very interested in reading other replies.
    I hope you can get advice and figure out what's going on.

3. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

I am starting a 10 gal Planted Shrimp tank. During my research I did read that some new mothers will drop their eggs at first. Maybe some Shrimp veterans will have better advise. I'll watch this thread.

4. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Is she plucking them off her tail, bringing them to her mouth, holding them with her legs and eating them in a straightened out/regular position?

5. OP
    OP
    B

BeeteeNew MemberMember

Yes, that's exactly right!

6. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

That's so strange :( One interesting thing though, I was listening to Flip Aquatic's recent shrimp breeding livestream and he mentioned it takes a lot of protein for female shrimp to make their eggs, and so they make high protein foods just for berried females. Yours may be lacking protein.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice