Berried Rcs Eating Her Own Eggs

1. Beetee Initiate Member

I've had my RCS tank for a couple of months now and it's been a huge struggle, so I was really excited today when I finally saw my first berried female! However, I have now noticed that she's doing everything she can to eat all of her own eggs off herself.

There's plenty of algae to graze on, plus supplemental food, so I don't think it's an issue of hunger. I've been testing parameters like crazy and everything is pristine. Has anyone seen this behavior before, and is there anything I can do about it? Up until now I haven't had any berried females, just a couple clutches of dropped eggs, so this is really upsetting.
  2. VioletSS Member Member

I can't help - but I'm setting up my own shrimp tank, so I'm very interested in reading other replies.
    I hope you can get advice and figure out what's going on.

3. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I am starting a 10 gal Planted Shrimp tank. During my research I did read that some new mothers will drop their eggs at first. Maybe some Shrimp veterans will have better advise. I'll watch this thread.
  4. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Is she plucking them off her tail, bringing them to her mouth, holding them with her legs and eating them in a straightened out/regular position?

5. Beetee Initiate Member

Yes, that's exactly right!
  6. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

That's so strange :( One interesting thing though, I was listening to Flip Aquatic's recent shrimp breeding livestream and he mentioned it takes a lot of protein for female shrimp to make their eggs, and so they make high protein foods just for berried females. Yours may be lacking protein.