Berried females?

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Novemayune, Jan 8, 2013.

1. NovemayuneValued MemberMember

I have a few saddled females and one who is currently berried. How long does it generally take for a female to go from being berried to shrimplets running around? I have plenty of cavelike places for them to hide, and I'm so excited to see baby ghosties!

2. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Good luck... I have heard baby ghosts are by far one of the hardest of the shrimps to raise... for the first week of their life they take on a larval forum and after one week then they look like their parents... I think it takes about 3 weeks for the eggs to hatch just start watching for small black dots to develop in the eggs (these will be eyes) after that you got a few days til its time! I have a berried ghost as well and to date I have never had an success raising the babies but I know lots of people do have great luck with it!

3. WadeEHValued MemberMember

Novemayune - Are you leaving the berried shrimp in the 55g with the fish? If you are there is a good chance that all the baby shrimp will get eaten before you even see them. I have ten Ghost Shrimp in my 55g and three in my 20g and I have yet to see a single larva survive. The larva can not move very well and are easy pickings for the fish. If you want them to have a chance you will need to move the berried shrimp to a separate tank. Good Luck.

4. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I'll be honest.... my ghosts are in a shrimp only tank and i had never had a large survive (it was a heated no filter tank sort of like the NPT I am doing now but no betta in that one) so in short it is still hard to rear them even if you have no fish in the tank...

5. WadeEHValued MemberMember

I didn't know what the chances were in a separate tank, but I knew they were not good in a tank with fish. I had thought about trying it myself, but have never gotten around to it.

6. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

The chances are way better but feeding something you can't see is a pain in a half...

7. WadeEHValued MemberMember

I could see where that might be the case. :D

8. NovemayuneValued MemberMember

Yeah, I think I'll just leave the berried female be. I was hoping that most of my platy would be eaten, but they have had tremendous luck surviving. :-/. Maybe the ghostie larvae will take some lessons from the platy fry. Qué será será in my tank, buddy :)

ETA: I hope a couple of them make it. I think I have three other females saddled right now, so maybe by sheer numerical odds I'll have some survivors...? ;:shrug

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice