Berried Female

Aquariumlover1357

Hi everyone!
So I got 4 ghost shrimp today, and one of them was actually pregnant. I have no idea how far along she is. I can see the green eggs, and they are about 0.5 millimeters in diameter. I'm acclimating them right now, and have thrown bits of an algae tablet in the tank. It is a 1 gallon tank. They have no other tank mates. Do I need to especially care for the baby shrimp when they hatch? Do I need to separate the female? I'm not trying to breed them, and this is just by mistake, so if I could help the baby shrimp survive, it'd be great, but it's not as important as ensuring all the shrimps I have now survive. Anything I have to feed them? I could order live baby brine shrimp, but I doubt they'd arrive in time.

Thanks!

richiep

For the young to survive you need to put her in a tank of her own then when they hatch take the mother out, if this is not done all the other shrimp will eat the babies,

Upvote 0

mrsP

Do you have live plants? I would imagine you do, that's usual with shrimp tanks to offer them lots of natural diet and behavior. In that case you don't need to do anything special, shrimplets are capable to hide and escape, but if you don't, get live plants. The more the better.

Upvote 0

richiep

Do you have live plants? I would imagine you do, that's usual with shrimp tanks to offer them lots of natural diet and behavior. In that case you don't need to do anything special, shrimplets are capable to hide and escape, but if you don't, get live plants. The more the better.
Totally different with ghost shrimp the female must be separated or all the new born will get eaten,

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

They're already in a 1 gallon tank all to themselves (there's 4), but the female is the only full grown shrimp. One other shrimp is medium size (~0.75 inch) and the other two is tiny (~0.5 inch). Would it be smarter to separate the shrimp I already have after the female gives birth? The only other cup I have is a 0.25 gallon that I could float on top of other tanks. I could use that for a little bit? Either for the baby shrimp or the adults?

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

Update: I found the first little guy on the glass today! It's so little (about 0.5 cm or 0.25 inch). I scooped it up using a little spoon and put it in a separate container with some indian almond leaves and some soaked algae tablets (the algae is all loose and floating all over).

Upvote 0

richiep

Under the circumstances this is the best thing to do to try and save any, they should all be floating in the main tank and not look like shrimp so be careful, you will need to change a small amount of water every 2 or 3 days only a spoon full and replace with tank water not tap water this will keep things fresh for them, dont over feed and pollute the cup,

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

Update 2: Almost all the babies at out!!! Here's a picture of them in a transport/acclimating cup (transferring them to the nursery container in a warmer temperature ~76-77). It's not their real container.

1615915327384.png

1615915429047.png

I haven't gotten all the babies out yet (taking them to the nursery in batches). The female still has about 2-3 inside her. Should I worry about this/help her?

Attachments

• 1615915435578.png
    1615915435578.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

richiep

They will now slowly morph into real looking shrimp, there could be up to 30 in all
Best of luck

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

Update 3: I've scooped out about 25 babies in all. They all look alive and jump around from time to time. Leaf litter and algae from algae tablets form a carpet at the bottom of their container. I just found out that out of the 4 shrimps I got that day, another one is also pregnant! It's the medium sized one, and the babies don't have eyes yet and are only little green eggs. I think they'll come along in about a week or two.

Upvote 0

richiep

I can see another tank being setup here

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

I can see another tank being setup here

It's a possibility, but what do I do when they multiply too quick? I'm not really planning on becoming a breeder. Is there someplace where I could possibly give away/sell the baby shrimp?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

It's a possibility, but what do I do when they multiply too quick? I'm not really planning on becoming a breeder. Is there someplace where I could possibly give away/sell the baby shrimp?

If there's a privately owned fish/pet store near you they might be happy to buy them from you.

Upvote 0

richiep

Or just leave them just breed as fresh food for the others

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

update 4: About 5 of the baby shrimp died overnight. Is there a reason why this might've happened? They live in a normal coffee mug-sized plastic cup. I keep the cup afloat by not filling the water to the top, and putting it in place with the lid (kind of trapping it between the tank water and the lid.) All the other ones (15-20) are doing fine. About how long does it take for them to mature/become normal shrimp?

Upvote 0

BlackOsprey

Baby shrimp do best growing up in a fully set up and established aquarium. A coffee cup isn't going to have any heating or nitrogen cycling to speak of, and baby shrimp are especially sensitive to their environments and aren't the most hardy things to being with. The water changes you'd need to do to remove the ammonia from the environment would probably destabilize conditions and upset them further.

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

Baby shrimp do best growing up in a fully set up and established aquarium. A coffee cup isn't going to have any heating or nitrogen cycling to speak of, and baby shrimp are especially sensitive to their environments and aren't the most hardy things to being with. The water changes you'd need to do to remove the ammonia from the environment would probably destabilize conditions and upset them further.

The cup is in a fully established aquarium, floating on top to keep the temperature the same as the temperature of the water the adults are in. I'm keeping the babies separated until they're big enough to join the mom and the rest of the adult shrimp. The water is also from the cycled aquarium. I don't really have another cycled aquarium I can put the baby shrimp in. When they grow big enough, they'll be released into the normal environment. I was just wondering if it's normal for a few of them to die off, which I guess is definitely not. I'll try my best to decrease the stress from the water changes. Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ShilohStardust
Replies
Views
bumblinBee
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question