Berried Female Carrying Moldy Eggs?

Catalina

I have a 10 gal with about 20 RCS and currently have 4-5 berries females. This morning one berried female seems to have a fluffy white patch in her swimmerets where the eggs are. I still see some normal looking eggs under her tail as well when she swims up the glass. I’m wondering if maybe she hasn’t fanned her eggs enough and they’ve started to go moldy or grow fungus? Should I leave her be and see what happens or quarantine her? Does it look like some other disease? It’s white, not green at all so I’m not thinking ellobiopsidae. Tried to get pics but these little guys are always so hard to get in focus!

Attachments

• 5ED2075A-9EB8-4F47-AC6A-EA099302D689.jpeg
    5ED2075A-9EB8-4F47-AC6A-EA099302D689.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 6A84CA92-8FD7-4AF5-9D64-25FB0E7B5D13.jpeg
    6A84CA92-8FD7-4AF5-9D64-25FB0E7B5D13.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 35

richiep

It's a Fungal infection by the looks of it, you first need to quarantine her
Youve got three possibles
Hope it come off with the next molt or try two meds
API pimifix or JBL Fungol both are not guaranteed shrimp safe but more success as been had with Pimifix
Try and get a picture of her on the glass to give a better look,
Any nets you use make sure you sterilise just incase of x contamination

Catalina

It's a Fungal infection by the looks of it, you first need to quarantine her
Youve got three possibles
Hope it come off with the next molt or try two meds
API pimifix or JBL Fungol both are not guaranteed shrimp safe but more success as been had with Pimifix
Try and get a picture of her on the glass to give a better look,
Any nets you use make sure you sterilise just incase of x contamination
got a few more photos. Very difficult to see but in the first photo you can see a round green egg above the white fluff. In the center of the fluff appears to be a dense white/yellow spot - is it unheard of for shrimp to carry a fungus-y egg?

Attachments

• 2EB5CCD9-67EE-4914-B960-2CD1E70F7E7F.png
    2EB5CCD9-67EE-4914-B960-2CD1E70F7E7F.png
    676.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DF0FF3FF-310C-437D-83EC-F75787F67041.png
    DF0FF3FF-310C-437D-83EC-F75787F67041.png
    607.2 KB · Views: 27

richiep

It is a very rare as all eggs passed down are fertile, either way she needs treating, how long as she been berried

Catalina

It is a very rare as all eggs passed down are fertile, either way she needs treating, how long as she been berried
Shes been berried about one week I’d say. I’ve been keeping a super close eye on all the females (they all got berried within a few days) and today is the first day of fungus. The only quarantine tank I have open right now is about 2 gal - would it be better to treat her in that tank or do a Pimafix dip and keep her in the quarantine?

richiep

I'd treat her separate just incase something goes wrong, its possible it will come away with the next molt or you treat now
Looking at the second photo I'm wondering if it could be vorticella
It may be worth cross reference that with your shrimp first

Catalina

I'd treat her separate just incase something goes wrong, its possible it will come away with the next molt or you treat now
Looking at the second photo I'm wondering if it could be vorticella
It may be worth cross reference that with your shrimp first
Thanks for your help! I put her in the qt tank with 1ml pimafix. I don’t think it’s vorticella - the only images I’m seeing are the shrimp with white around it’s head and on the red ‘shell’ of the shrimp. I’m only seeing the one fuzzy patch under the tail of my female. Hopefully the pimafix works or she molts it off - if nothing else, hopefully I separated her quickly enough.

richiep

OK just thought it worth a look, hopefully this will work
The dose is 5mil for every 10g and dose that every day for 7 days then do a 25% water change

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FBI
Replies
Views
AquaticLeopard
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views