Berried Cpo! (advice)

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Brittni808, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Brittni808Valued MemberMember

I finally have a berried CPO and I’m so excited! I really want the babies to survive so I was just looking for any suggestions from people who have successfully kept them.

Some background: I have 4 CPOs in my 60 gallon with Amano shrimp, guppies, platys, pearl danios, pearl gouramis, and neon tetras. Should I keep the berried CPO in a Breeder box until she has her babies? Or leave her in my tank as is?

Thanks guys!!

IMG_8083.JPG

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Breeder boxes stress fish out as they do not provide enough space nor cover to keep them happy. I'd set up a spare tank or at least 5gals and move the cray there. Provide plenty of cover and once they babies hatch you can feed them an assortment of foods, I can't imagine they would be too picky as they are scavenging bottom feeders. Adding some plants and dried leaves is a good idea though, biofilm is a great first food for new born aquatic creatures.

Be sure to have the other tank set up with a heater and seasoned filter. Sponge filters are your best bet as the little crays won't get sucked up and killed like with a HOB.