Berried cherry shrimp? Can they get berried without males?

AlphaFish

So, I've had these shrimp for about a month, and today I noticed some yellow stuff on this one's belly, and it sure does look like eggs but I don't think I have any males in the tank so could this be something else?

Attachments

• IMG_20220729_192450~2.jpg
    IMG_20220729_192450~2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 25

MelkorTheVile

Its hard to tell from that photo. It looks feathery and ragged, which would probably be Ellobiopsidae. That's usually a death sentence. You can observe and get a better look. Are they round or bushy and feathery? If it is Ellobiopsidae there are a few treatments that can work. Never had it, so others will have to chime in. Do a bit of research and hopefully you can save your shrimp! Edit: Forget to say, definitely quarantine any shrimp with that.

AlphaFish

I couldn't tell for sure, but it seemed like Ellobiopsidae. It's quite late and I don't have aquarium salt, I'll check again in the morning and if it is the parasite I'll go buy some.
Also, should I be worried for the other shrimp? They don't seem affected

MelkorTheVile

I couldn't tell for sure, but it seemed like Ellobiopsidae. It's quite late and I don't have aquarium salt, I'll check again in the morning and if it is the parasite I'll go buy some.
Also, should I be worried for the other shrimp? They don't seem affected
It spreads via spores in the water. And from some research it can be unnoticeable or dormant in a host for months. So just keep observing for it the next few months.

PeterFishKeepin

richiep thoughts?

richiep

the first thing is to isolate that shrimp ASAP as it will spread and kill all your shrimp,
You need to get some more photos to confirm and if it is confirmed dont bother with any treatment as there is none, just euthanasie, keep a close eye on all the others and any showing signs put them in isolation just to confirm.
Closer look on a bigger screen and it is ellobiopsidae or Cladogonium ogishimae either way euthanasie

AlphaFish

I isolated the shrimp as soon as Melkor said it could be Ellobiopsidae since I took a closer look and you could see some spores on the outside of the shell. Are you sure I can't at least try to cure it, since I've read that people were successful with salt bathing? The others are showing no signs of any disease.

richiep

If they were successful then it wasn't ellobiopsidae
It would have been Cladogonium ogishimae which can be treated
If you intend to try all equipment used should be kept for that tank only and sterilised before using it again in other tanks.
You can Rid-ich, you will need to put a few drops on dry food and leave it dry then feed
This was the best at trying to cure it so we found but 6 weeks later the shrimp died
Yours dose look as if its well matured inside the shrimp. You could also try hydrogen peroxide but tbh its not really worth it in my mind

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 2

AlphaFish

Is the salt method good?

richiep

No its already been tried but have a go if you want

AlphaFish

I'll see if I can get ridich fast enough, I'll try saltbathing too.

richiep

Ellobiopsidae is one of the diseases that as plagued the shrimp world for many years without success
If it is Cladogonium ogishimae then salt may help

AlphaFish

I just remembered I've got some antifungal/antibacterial med from when my betta had fin rot, would that help in any way? I know it's a parasitic algae but Indian Almond Leaves supposedly help so

richiep

Almond leaves and alder cones are good in the tank they help suppress these problems.
Systemic mycosis which is a fungal infection found around the swimmerets which you are looking at, so antifungal treatment will work on Cladogonium ogishimae so its worth a try.
If its Ellobiopsidae it won't work

AlphaFish

I'll dose some a bit later, I just did a salt bath and I'd like to let the shrimp rest a bit

richiep

You can try anything and your going about it right by resting the shrimp
With the antifungal its hit or miss so start with recommended dose on the bottle and have some fresh tank water ready incase he has side affects , when you go down that road treatment may be weeks before something happens just stick with it
I hope you have success with this, keep you progress coming and maybe MelkorTheVile may have an idea to try

AlphaFish

She's not moving, should I be concerned? She's not dead, just sitting in one place. When I took her out of the qt she tried to resist, but not too hard. During the salt bath, she zoomed around but as soon as it was over she went on the java moss and sat. Is this a normal side effect of the treatment? It seems like I'll wait more than I intended before adding the antifungus.
Update: started moving and eating normally, I'll assume it was just a side effect from the treatment. I'll add a shrimp pellet
Correction: not quite normally, but she's moved from the original position and she was picking at the moss
Update2: she molted. I can't look for wrod as she's under the java moss and I don't want to disturb her. I'll give an update
Managed to have a look, no wrod thankfully

AlphaFish

Update3 Evening right now, seems to be in better condition, though I won't be administering the antifungal right now since I want to watch her. I'll probably add it in the water when I'm changing it and she's in the salt bath.

richiep

Did she molt the fungus or not? Find the molt and remove it, sounds like a little shock after the salt bath

AlphaFish

Did she molt the fungus or not? Find the molt and remove it, sounds like a little shock after the salt bath
I did remove it. It doesn't appear like she molted the fungus. The good news though is that, at least it seems like, there's less fungus on her. Maybe I should add less salt or keep her in less to reduce the stress, since I don't think molting again would be wrod-less.

richiep

A forced molt now would kill her, don't leave her in salt to long

AlphaFish

I already wasn't planning on bathing her tomorrow, but now that you say it that way, maybe I should wait even more. What do you think?

richiep

Its entirely up to you which way you do things but with what I know id go straight onto the antifungal med, if it is Cladogonium ogishimae the med will work better
Remember what ever you use you run the risk of killing her
The other option is carry on with the salt and put some antifungal on her food,let it dry then feed it.

AlphaFish

Well, I'll try the med tomorrow since I feel like it would be safer that way. Will keep you updated.

AlphaFish

Update: 9:37 meds went in. No immediate reaction from the shrimp. I'm thinking of dosing a small amount in the main tank, just preventively. Though then I'd have to take a lot of snail shells out.

richiep

You don't really know what this med is going to do so I'd be very careful dosing your main tank

AlphaFish

Update: didn't dose the main tank.
I did a 100% water change and changed the comfort moss/algae as well. Re dosed the med too. I don't think the fungus is getting any better since the salt bath. Maybe salt baths are the way to go, though they're risky. I am also seeing color loss, though this may be due to the light being very low in the tub as an effort to not disturb the shrimp, and since it's dark outside too, she might have just been sleeping.
Question: does it make any difference if I put a pinch of salt in the tank? Would this change the salinity too much and kill the shrimp, or would this have a subtle effect against the fungus?

richiep

Shrimp don't like salt and it can kill thats why only dips are done, mind you its not a straight killer, salt has its affects over time, I definitely wouldn't treat the main tank.

AlphaFish

The shrimp died today. Not much happened in he last few days, it was getting it's color back when all of a sudden it dropped dead. I did an 100% water change and re-dosed the med yesterday, though I don't think that's the issue as this morning it didn't seem to behave any differently than the other days. The fungus doesn't seem to have changed. Back in he main tank, also yesterday I found what at first I thought was a dead shrimp, but it was just a molt with a pink ramshorn on it. The shrimp which I assume molted is a bit shy now, but it doesn't show any sign of infection and is a rather nice and bright shade of red. Still no infections in the main tank.
Now, melkor said it can be dormant for months. I was planning on getting some males before his whole thing started, obviously I should wait before doing so but how much?
Update: I picked the tub up and it moved on the wall before dropping on it's back again. I'll euthanize, there's no point trying now. And I just realized, how could I dispose the dead shrimp without polluting the water system?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FBI
Replies
Views
Grumpyfish32
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies