Berried Amano Help

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by TexasGuppy, Apr 19, 2018.

1. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

I just noticed one of my Amano looks very berried. I have a driftwood with hiding holes, creavices, and a tunnel built of rocks with little hiding spots. I have several plants, sword, anubias nana, and bunch of Rotala rotundiifolia folding over on the surface. Is that enough for them to hide from fish or do I need to put in some java moss or something as well?

My concerns are the Pearl Gourami, Flame Gourami, and 3 turquois rainbows right now.

Any advice appreciated to try to keep these guys alive.

2. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

The problem is that Amano need brackish water for the eggs to hatch and the fry to make it. They won't make it in a freshwater tank.

3. Aegnis

Aegnis Valued Member Member

Agree with the above post. My amano had eggs as well but lost them in the fresh water. You'll need a brackish tank to hatch and rear the young successfully.

4. OP
    OP
    TexasGuppy

Thanks, my QT is almost free... need to lookup converting to brackish... assuming I can even capture that Amano in my 54g.

5. JoeCamaro

That'd be cool if you could catch her and manage to raise the babies.

Good luck catching her though :D

6. Aegnis

Aegnis Valued Member Member

Good luck! Baby amanos are great fun to raise (or so I've heard). Wishing you success!

7. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

You'll need some sort of planktonic food, but it can be done :)

8. OP
    OP
    TexasGuppy

Few question, if anybody here has done this. I have the female isolated in the 10g now. From further research, it could be a few weeks before the eggs hatch. I need to switch for HOB filter to easy airstone filter.
    I've found OceanMagik Live Phytoplankton Blend that should be good for the first few weeks of larva, and because my QT is newly(ish) cycled, I have diatoms all over which apparently is a must for high survival rates.

However, I've read that they start converting at 30 days old, and can take up to 60 days old for them all the convert to post-larva, and that they can only survive in 30ppt salt water for 48 hours once converted.
    How easy is it to tell they've actually converted at this point, is it a sudden physical change? Should I pull them out into a new tank at this point day by day? One site suggests dropping whole tank to 17ppt salt once the first conversion starts happening, but will the other larva continue to convert at that level? Another site simply recommended converting the tank at day 45, but his effort only left 11 survivors in the entire lot, so not sure I'll follow his directions.

9. OP
    OP
    TexasGuppy

10. -Mak-

Looking forward to seeing what you do :happy:

11. OP
    OP
    TexasGuppy

Amano.png
    Thought I'd share an update. Here is mom, looks like she's getting close. Eggs start out green and turns to light tan over a few weeks time.
    From reading through some posts, it looks like they eggs need fresh water to hatch, then you have a few days to move them to full salt, 32-35ppt (No need to acclimate)
    After 3 weeks or so, they'll stop being attracted to light and start swimming forward. You have 3 days or so to move them back out of full salt or they'll die.
    If they aren't fully clear yet even after swimming forward (red/brownish), they'll die moving to fresh (3ppt or less).
    Best to move them to partial 15-17ppt for a couple days, then to 3ppt or less.

There is debate on the optimal temp for hatching (76), as well as how much light.. 12 hours vs 24 hours. I think my Ph/Kh should be good (7.4,4dKh), Gh may be slightly high (10dGh) but hopefully acceptable.
    Moving the mother to a separate tank too close to hatching can stress and cause her to dump them early. Newly hatched Zoes will do best with lots of diatoms in the tank to forage off of. Luckily, my QT was newly cycled and is currently coated in diatoms as well as biofilm on the glass.
    Also, it's believed moving between salinity or any water changes need to be matched temp.

Amanos give birth in fresh water streams and the Zoes float down to the sea. I'm guessing the swimming towards the light is related to the direction of the sea. When they morph, they stop being attracted and can swim back for fresh waters. I'm suspicious of the 24 hours of light theory since it doesn't occur in nature.

12. OP
    OP
    TexasGuppy

Last night, she dropped most of the eggs. They look like dust particles in the water.. but they are capable of some rapid movement. She looks like she dropped all of them, but she still messing around with her swimlets a little, so I'm going to wait a day before removing her to make sure. There appear to be hundreds of little zoes moving around.
    There are a lot that are sitting on the bottom of the tank, which I would guess may have not survived.. but then another zoe will bump into one, and they'll jump like popcorn. From what I read, they are too young to actually eat on any of the diatoms, but they are definitely sitting on it. I'll probably have a better idea in several days once the survivors start getting a little larger.

13. OP
    OP
    TexasGuppy

Tank is filled with these guys. Here is a short video clip of how small they are. They look like floating dust particles.

14. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

This is so cool! Thanks for documenting it for us.
    I have a berried amano right now, and while I’m not about to fire up a salt tank just yet, I’ll be happy to see how it works for you. Or learn from your mistakes!! :p :)

15. JoeCamaro

So cool!

16. OP
    OP
    TexasGuppy

So yesterday mom was still messing with her swimlets, wasn't sure if she had dropped them all. I've read they can take up to 6 days. However, last night she molted, so I think that means she was done. I put her back in the main tank and I noticed within an hour a male trying to mate. I've read it's pretty common, the berried cycle is pretty tight.

I'm prepping the salt water tonight and will convert tank in the morning. Just about 48-56 hours after hatching.
    Tonight, they look pretty much the same. I'm parinoid about losing them since I know they have high mortality rates.
    Still looks like several hundred swimming around.
    Never done salt before, so this will be interesting. Heater and powerhead.

IMG_20180508_204745791.jpg

Little guys are happy now in 32ppt salt water. They seemed to perk up a bit as I converted the water. I used a dark room and put a flashlight in one corner of the tank and drained from the other. I started using an airhose with an airstone on it to drain as suggested in the other forum, and it was working fine but too slow. I didn't have enough time to wait what looked like would take a few hours. All the zoes appeared to be pretty well grouped on the opposite side of the tank, so I used a 50 micron pad wrapped over my siphon hand drain hose. Honestly though, if a zoe got onto that pad, I'm not sure he'd get off... There are still several hundred swarming around the flashlight.
    I also put several drops of SeaChem Phyto Plankton in, but my tank is already covered pretty well in diatoms.

Here were the hatching parameters:
    76 degrees
    TDS: 330
    Ph: 7.4
    Amm:0 Nitrite:0 Nitrate:10
    Kh-6
    Gh-11

Salt water is same source, so should be just 32ppt with above parameters. I also have a few floating plants, I figured they'd help remove any possible ammonia/nitrite that may form without any filter running.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
  17. JoeCamaro

That's awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated.
    This is very interesting.

18. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Neat project! I've been researching lately, and I saw a few of your questions from earlier in the thread (I'm sure you probably figured them out, but jic). When the babies convert, they won't be able to float around in the water anymore and will begin to "stick" to the side of the glass and crawl. They also move very very quickly. Most people remove the formed ones and put them in a different bucket and slowly acclimate back to freshwater. Also, from what I've read about the lights, they're only there to mainly provide light for algae. There's this one guy on YouTube who ended up with a pretty decent sized batch by not feeding them at all and only adding a 24 hour light. Good luck, and thank you so much for documenting your attempt!

19. -Mak-

This is such a cool process. Would you consider selling if a lot of babies make it?

20. OP
    OP
    TexasGuppy

Absolutely.. I only wanted a few more in my main tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice