Berney's/Lesser Salmon Catfish Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dasquee

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys,

Almost 2 months ago I purchased Bruce, my Berney's Catfish, for my 90G tank and I've noticed some rather annoying behavior. At feeding time he's extremely greedy and gobbles down more food then he should have, leaving most of my other fish without hardly anything to eat, particularly my clowns. Bloodworms, flake food, algae wafers, he'll eat anything and quickly. He's almost doubled in size in a little over a month, about 7 inches long atm.

Is there anything I can do to slow down his eating? I've considered holding him in a net for the first little bit after I put in the food, but it seems a bit drastic... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't hold him in a net, thats extremely drastic and will stress him out a lot. Have you tried feeding him at one side and then feeding the others?

Dasquee

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have tried that unfortunately, his mouth is massive and he gobbles up everything extremely fast then screams to the other side of the tank and eats everyone else's food =\

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, this is a tough one. Im stumped =/ All I can think of now is to divide then tank but this may then stunt your catfish' growth.
Hopefully someone else will come along with some ideas soon.

Dasquee

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only concern I have with feeding him up one side and the others in a different place is my filter is set up so that I have quite a current in the tank, food ends up going to the one end anyway.. any ideas about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom