Berlin classic protein skimmer

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey everyone

I set up my saltwater tank about three days ago and I just started my berlin classic protein skimmer. There is no bubbles going on in there right now, can someone tell me if there is a problem? or I just have to give it some time??? Please advise.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Island_bouy and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Hopefully some of our salt tank keepers will be able to give you some information today.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks, I'm waiting patiently.

another question to anyone who has one of these skimmers, do I need to connect an Air pump to this one?

Hello, I've merged your back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
no need. There should be an airine pipe from either the skimmer or mostlikely the pump. Make sure the end of the pipe is connected to either on the skimmer or pump (mostlikely pump) and one end will need to be above water. The pipe sucks in air to produce the bubbles. If the pipe is under water, it sucks in water and no bubbles.

Hope this help,

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks ATP
On the skimmer it has two things that look like airlines, one has a tube running from it connecting to the bottom of the skimmer, the other has nothing. when I first started the skimmer, water started coming out of the air line not attached. I put an airtube over it and pinch it off.

Another question, how would I know when this Berlin classic skimmer is working properly? I have been told when I see bubbles going in the cup. The thing is my tank is just a few days old with no fish, just 70 pds of uncured rocks. I have not done the first water change yet, or have I tested the water. But the water is very clear. So would I see bubbles in the skimmer if I don't have anything to skI'm yet? One person told me that I wouldn't see anything happening until I actually start having fish, is this true. Right now I think I have connected everything right and water is flowing through the skimmer, but no bubbles. Help anyone???
I've merged your back to back posts.
Ken

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks Ken

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok everyone ( or whoever got one of these skimmers, berlin XL protein skimmers)

Ok, I think I got this thing working finally, I have air bubbles coming up in the middle tube. I have a little skimming going on, but I don't have a constant flow of bubbles going into the cup. The skimmer air tube is on full blast so enough air is going into the skimmer. Anyone who has one of these please advise. Could this be happening due to the fact that I don't have any fish yet and I'm curing the rocks only??? Please advise.

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How many circulation pump I need for a 55 gal. I have two right now that have a flow rate of 1050 gph each. Is that enough or do I nee another one?

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Island_bouy said:
How many circulation pump I need for a 55 gal. I have two right now that have a flow rate of 1050 gph each. Is that enough or do I nee another one?
It would depend on what you want. What type of inhabitans you have. As for your skimmer, it might just need time to break in.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey island - bouy This is a venturI type skimmer that needs a pump of 680 + gallons per hour the bottom line going in is the feed line and the two top lines are for return the little tube is the feed to the venturI which sucks air into the skimmer on bottom end near the feed tube which is the line to hook up a pump> these are the best skimmers ever made and I have the same skimmer that you are talking about.As long as the pump is large enough you will have all air bubbles in chamber. What part of Jamaica are you from?If you need more info I have the manuel for this skimmer!!! By the way I miss Jamaica soooo bad!!! Yeah Mon!!!

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ATP said:
It would depend on what you want. What type of inhabitans you have. As for your skimmer, it might just need time to break in.
The skimmer is coming along really good, like you said it probably do need time to break in. As for the tank I don't have anything in there as yet. It is 55 gal with 70 pds of rocks, in the curing phase right now. I plan on having coral, at least two clown fish, tang, cleaner crew just the name a few...of course I will not overcrowd my tank. Will that be good for the kind of circulation I have in there now. I just added another wavemaker because I found a dead spot in the tank. Now I'm pretty sure I have circulation going everywhere, is that too much. Thanks for the help

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Stang Man said:
Hey island - bouy This is a venturI type skimmer that needs a pump of 680 + gallons per hour the bottom line going in is the feed line and the two top lines are for return the little tube is the feed to the venturI which sucks air into the skimmer on bottom end near the feed tube which is the line to hook up a pump> these are the best skimmers ever made and I have the same skimmer that you are talking about.As long as the pump is large enough you will have all air bubbles in chamber. What part of Jamaica are you from?If you need more info I have the manuel for this skimmer!!! By the way I miss Jamaica soooo bad!!! Yeah Mon!!!
Stang Man

Lolo...actually I'm from the city part of Jamaica, Kingston. Of course a lot of people always say they are from Kingston, the real question would be where in Kingston they are from, then you will be able to know if they are really from Jamaica or not lol....by the way, I'm from a place called Prembroke Hall, lolo. I'm actually living in Georgia now, but I go home every year, family still live there. Love the info, you explained alot, and I actually finally got the skimmer working, do I need to hook up an air pump to the air tube?? There is a lot right in the middle tube but it is not going all the way in the cup, at times you would see some bubble float to the top of the cup, it is never constant. Could this be due to the fact that I don't have any fish as yet and there is noting to skim? There is tow pointy looking valve on the top of the skimmer where the backflow is, are they there if I wanted to add an oxidizer??You should go back to Jamaica for a vacation, I definiately will be back next year. Thanks a lot for the info

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The skimmer should be venturI so no need on air pump. Have you tried adjusting the skimmer?

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ATP said:
The skimmer should be venturI so no need on air pump. Have you tried adjusting the skimmer?
I did and it is working like a charm, thanks for the help, thanks for the help. I check out your tank and it is beautful, hopefully I come close like that one day.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep as long as bubbles are pushing up ward then it should be working properly. what pump size are you using? no need for an air pump it's venturI driven.As for the inlet air tube yes that can be used for oxidizer there should be two cups for that ourpose if you decide to do that the bottom cup is for collection and top cup is for carbon you must fill the cup all the way up with carbon or you will get monoxide from the oxidizer I don't use that part don't have the funds for that but maybe someday!!! As for going back to Jamaica I would love to I wish I could live there but due to the economic of US that's out of the picture for now but I really want to go back to Ocho Rios what a beutiful place that is and the reefs are totally awsome. If you ever need anything let me Know will be glad to help. Oh and Regae music is my Fav!!! love it !!! Has Sizzla put out anything new? Write me back please.

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Stang Man said:
Yep as long as bubbles are pushing up ward then it should be working properly. what pump size are you using? no need for an air pump it's venturI driven.As for the inlet air tube yes that can be used for oxidizer there should be two cups for that ourpose if you decide to do that the bottom cup is for collection and top cup is for carbon you must fill the cup all the way up with carbon or you will get monoxide from the oxidizer I don't use that part don't have the funds for that but maybe someday!!! As for going back to Jamaica I would love to I wish I could live there but due to the economic of US that's out of the picture for now but I really want to go back to Ocho Rios what a beutiful place that is and the reefs are totally awsome. If you ever need anything let me Know will be glad to help. Oh and Regae music is my Fav!!! love it !!! Has Sizzla put out anything new? Write me back please.
I haven't heard anything new from Sizzla, I have a bunch of reggae music of course lolo, but there is different type of reggae....which of course I'm pretty sure you know about....the real cool vibes kind, like sizzla, and the hardcore type like elephant man, vibes Kartel, bounty killer etc. Living in JA is very expensive, and honestly the enonomy there is way worse than here. Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful place and my people is much more closer and true friends than the people here but unfortuately the government sucks really bad and have pretty much brought the island to its knees. Apart from that, I just went to the LPS and got my water tested and I have 0 ammonia...pretty happy about that. But I dicided not to put any fish in there until I get my lights. I want to put a glass canopy and then the lights over it, what you think about that??? I have a feeling with the glass cover it probably would cause the tank to keep a little heat, raising the temp. of the aquarium. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I have all those bands but I wish Sizzla would put a new album out!!! He's a bad boy!!! A glass canopy what do you mean about that? Sounds cool though and about fish if you just started this tank I would hold off for awhile till nitrites rise and fall then nitrates rise and fall as well then after that you will be ready for fish get some good test kits to monitor tank.

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Stang Man said:
Yes I have all those bands but I wish Sizzla would put a new album out!!! He's a bad boy!!! A glass canopy what do you mean about that? Sounds cool though and about fish if you just started this tank I would hold off for awhile till nitrites rise and fall then nitrates rise and fall as well then after that you will be ready for fish get some good test kits to monitor tank.
Actually I shouldn't have said canopy, it is more of a hook, but the flat glass type, hope you know what I mean. As for the kind of pump I'm using for the skimmer it is a Rio 1700. Actually I was planning on waiting for at least three weeks before I decided to get some fish. My nitrites and nitrates is at 0 also, I use this thing call an Bio-spira, that cycles your tank in 24 hrs. When I first got my rocks I had them sitting in an container with salt water and an pump for a week with the bio-spira in it. Sizzla is really bad to be honest. You should listen to some Beres Hammond, he is one of the most love and respected reggae artist back home. But who knows you probably got all his albums lolo.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No I have not heard of them I will check it out if I can find it!!!As for tank just wait awhile like I said don't rush at all take your time the more time you let it ride the better will come!!!

Island_bouy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey everyone

Finally I have my tank going good now for three weeks, water premeters are good, protein skimmer really doing a good job. Now I have 2 clownfish, 1 hawkfish, annemie ( I think I spell that wrong) and another fish that I don't know his name, but he is small and have two colors, purple and yellow. The problem I have is that my hawkfish keeps attacking my clownfish,. My annemie gives them protection at times but if they are out of a while he is watching getting ready to attack. What am I to do???? I like my hawkfish but should I get rid of him????

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads