Berlin and Monaco

bhcaaron
So I've been reading up on as much as I can... still. I came to a brief explanation of the Berlin (natural) and Monaco (plenum) filtration styles. Since they have many names, this is a brief explanation:

Berlin: Uses only skimmer as artificial filtration and allows the live rock to be the main filtration for the tank. Live rock is added at 2.2lb / 1G ratio. It will not work with additional artificial filtration, and is considered by many to be the best and closest to natural filtration method especially for reefs since it keeps nitrates below the measurable level. It brings costs of set-up way down, allowing for more to enjoy the hobby. It must be kept simple. No sand bed can be used (unless a plenum is used-see Monaco style for explanation).

Monaco: A plenum is used to complement the Berlin (natural) method. Two inches of fine sand are placed atop two inches of coarse coral sand which is kept separated by a screen or mesh. These are placed atop a perforated divisor that allows water to flow underneath.

The Idea of both are to maximize the filtration, allow for de-nitrification AND do away with the cycling of the tank, since there are no filter pads that need to wait for colonization of bacteria.

Has anyone used these methods before? How successful was it? Did you favor it? Any information you can provide on this is GREATLY appreciated.

agsansoo
The Berlin method is what most people use. Live sand bed, live rock and a protein skimmer. Just seems to work.

As for the Monaco Method. I have read a study that shows a plenum adds no extra value over a simple deep sand bed. So if there's no added value, why do it ! Seems a lot of extra work for nothing.

As to you natural comment. Nothing we do in this saltwater hobby is natural. From artificial lighting to dosing calcium

bhcaaron
The Berlin method is what most people use. Live sand bed, live rock and a protein skimmer. Just seems to work.

As for the Monaco Method. I have read a study that shows a plenum adds no extra value over a simple deep sand bed. So if there's no added value, why do it ! Seems a lot of extra work for nothing.

As to you natural comment. Nothing we do in this saltwater hobby is natural. From artificial lighting to dosing calcium

"Natural" was not a comment of mine. To each of the methods more than one name was given. One of such names to the Berlin Method was the "Natural Method".

Also, what I have read thus far states that in the Berlin method, no sand is used or used sparingly (as in no more than one inch bed), so, wouldn't a DSB with the Berlin method actually be the Monaco Method?

Like I said before, I'm still learning on all of this and just begun reading about these two methods. As much as anyone can answer is greatly appreciated.

Has anyone ever tried it or know of someone who has?

bhcaaron
Here's more on the Berlin Method. Still brief, but, more info:

bhcaaron
This one talks a little about the Monaco (here called the Jaubert)Method. Unfortunately, this article seems to not favor this method. I preffer the explanation given in The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium by Vincent Hargreaves. Though it is still brief, it is more objective (free of any bias or prejudice caused by personal feelings -Encarta Encyclopedia).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alejandrorod
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
max h
Replies
Views