Berdmorei Loach Pics

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Berdmorei Botia Loach (Red Fin Tiger) was very active a few days ago and I was lucky enough to snap a couple of pics. I wish I had four or five more Berdmoreis, but they are quite uncommon, and they don't always play well together. I know there are plenty of Loach lovers on this site. This is a Loach you really should scoop up if you come across one. Of course I had to include a pic of "Tank" my Y. Modesta (Blue Loach).
20190420_160853.jpg
20190420_162114.jpg
20190409_115001.jpg

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love these unusual loaches. Look at that dorsal fin! Thanks for posting.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Very cool!
And I love the Y. modestas.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They Y. Modestas are a very active variety of Loach. Fun to watch and they make a great cleanup crew. They chase each other all day & night.

Aileen Redding

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Loaches are so cool and quirkey. I have 3 yoyo loaches. I have read about them being fearful but I don't see that behavior. When they are startled they hid momentarily and then come out braced on their front fins and look me in the eye. They are so interesting.

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
We just picked up 3 of these Berdmorei guys on a trip to Columbia SC today. Very happy with them; had a bad scare when one jumped out of the transfer container as I was acclimating them but now that they're in the main tank they seem to be settled and content.

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Curious who you had in the tank with them? Is it a loach only tank? Asking as I have mine in a 120 gallon community with a host of different size species and though they are said to be semi-aggressive I've not noticed them harassing any of the other fish.

I was most worried about our corydoras and/or bristlenose plecos.

Aileen Redding

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have my yoyo loaches in a community tank with rainbows, swordtails and tetras. They are respectful to the other inhabitants but they get themselves in the center of whatever they want. It looks like they push their barbels against another fish that is in their way. It must not feel good because other fish always move out of their way, even the rainbows which are 3 inches long each. One sad thing I can tell you. The loaches are very curious and I use a python to clean the gravel. A lot of dirt is kicked up and the loaches always rush in to the disturbed area. A couple of times I noticed a missing loach after cleaning and a water change. After I reflected on this, I have concluded that I must have sucked up the missing loach into the discard bucket and thrown it out. Please be careful when suctioning because these loaches dive right in to the murky water. I will have to do some penance to the loach god.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Berdmorei is in a 120 gal. African cichlid tank. He's pretty much invincible. The Africans live him alone. The Berdmorei is very solitary. I started out with several Berdmoreis but he killed them all by harassing them to death. If I ever come across two or three good sized Berdmoreis i'll try again.

Aileen Redding

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I looked Berdmorei loach up on the computer and it said it could grow to 10 inches. As he grows he is probably going to take on the cichlids; I am a nooby but I haven't heard of that happening. My yoyos fit in well in my community tank.

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with Aileen's post above that while yoyos are respectful of other fish, they are territorial and interject themselves into any and all reaches of the tank regardless of what the other fish around them are doing.

I had to move rainbows out of my loach tank due to that behavior. Now they are will small to medium cichlids and while they still explore the entire tank, they are not as outwardly "rude" in pushing other fish out of the way.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought my Berdmorei close to two years ago and he's only grown maybe 2.5 inches in that time. At that rate it will be quite some time to reach the 10 inch mark. Lol.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't find much on these guys. I have zebra loaches, clown loaches and gold zebra loaches (all common); the gold zebra so far are my favorites - they are extremely bold but get along with everyone - even themselves (I have 7) and they encourage the other loaches to come out and play.
-
It sounds like the Bedmorei - while quite nice looking - is not as peaceful of a fish and some care needs to be taken with tank inhabitants?
-
As for the cleaning - i've had a few kuhli do that - i always check the pail before i drain it - though last time i missed a guppy fry that had gotten sucked up (the guppies are in a different tank than the loaches).

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Berdmorei is just aggressive towards their own species. They are quite capable of defending themselves and are a very active, curious loach. Only one Berdmorei Tiger per tank.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone over at monsterfishkeeper (Banded Tiger Loaches and Berdmore Loach) said that if you have enough you can keep them in a Shoal - he has 12 in a community tank but in the same thread another person only had 3 and he thinks the dom. male killed the other two. One site (seriousfishkeeping) said they might nip the fins of other fishes so i'm not sure if they would be safe with angels.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Berdmorei killed at least six of his smaller brothers & sisters, by harrassing them to the point of starvation.
IMO, no species of Tiger Loach should be kept with Angels, or any other fish with long fins.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh well. That's a pity. I'm thinking i'd setup a 500 gallon tank in a couple of years and so far my plans only call for the population of a 100 gallon tank so i have a bit of room in it but i was going to put the angels in it. I know angels and loaches don't really mix but the gold zebra love tickling them (ok this deserves some details - i feed the angels flakes in the morning and the loaches pellets at night but the gold zebra are perfectly happy to swim to the top and snatch the flakes and frequently in their haste they sort of run into the angels - nothing harmful and no nipping - just oops i didn't see you there sort of collision). Now how they miss a 7 inch fish i have no clue - the angels aren't playful and frequently get annoyed but they don't snap at the loaches - they just don't like to be disturb while eating.
-
Anyway i know i'm drifting off topic but i wonder why loaches don't show up in south america Ignoring evolution i would have though they would have migrated there by other methods these days.

A201 said:
My Berdmorei killed at least six of his smaller brothers & sisters, by harrassing them to the point of starvation.
IMO, no species of Tiger Loach should be kept with Angels, or any other fish with long fins.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bet you could keep Berdmorei with Angels in a 500 gal. Tank. The space afforded by such a massive tank would provide ample area for a group of Berdmorei. Plenty of wiggle room. My tank is only a 120 gal.
I guess a different set of predators, environmental differences and an ocean divide keep loaches out of South America.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I might - it will be around 20 months then i'll circle back for advice on stocking list. Basically i'll be moving the folks in my 120 when i move and adding a bit more. i have a 4x2x2 120 right now that has the loaches and angels (well 2 angels - i had more but the female killed the others).

A201 said:
I bet you could keep Berdmorei with Angels in a 500 gal. Tank. The space afforded by such a massive tank would provide ample area for a group of Berdmorei. Plenty of wiggle room. My tank is only a 120 gal.
I guess a different set of predators, environmental differences and an ocean divide keep loaches out of South America.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom