Bent Spine with No Other Sympotms?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ErinRowe, Jul 17, 2015.

1. E

ErinRowe New Member Member

I have a Female Dalmation Molly. Today I noticed she has an extremely bent spine! From top view her spine looks like an S!
    She doesn't have any other symptoms and has been eating great.
    I originally bought her along with 5 others and sadly the other five died off one by one in a matter of weeks. All the other fish in the tank are doing great!
    I'm really worried it could be TB. But then, why is it only the mollies that have been dying?

Ammonia:0.25ppm,Nitrite:0ppm,Nitrate:5.0ppm

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Is the ammonia really 0.25? What is the pH of the tank, and hardness?
    Sorry about your fish. :(
    Has the molly always been this way?

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Tank size? Also, the tank where you bought the mollies from, were any of the other fish in the tank exhibiting any signs of illness?

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I have heard some mollies such as balloon mollies are bred with bent spines, Anders I think you mentioned this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    E

I did a water change just two days ago, have two filters and it's been cycled for a year now. I tested the ammonia twice.
    The PH is 7.0 and the hardness is way off the charts. I have very hard water where I live. But, I've always made sure to acclimate the fish slow and I've never really had an issue with it.
    I've never had a fish with a bent spine before and all the mollies were perfectly healthy when I got them.

The tank is 20High. At the time it was only the 5 mollies and they were going to be moved to a bigger tank quickly. But, I kept them in when they started dying. It's been about a month since the last death.

She isn't a Ballon Molly and doesn't look to be a cross of both.

6. Anders247

Yes, true....
    What test kit are you using?

7. Dom90

20 gallons is way too small for 5 mollies, they have big bioloads...

8. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

It is quite possible that she has a completely different illness than what the others had, unless she's showing similar symptoms. Perhaps your other mollies all died from the bioload being increased too quickly, as mollies are high waste producers.

9. OP
    OP
    E

I understand it's too small and my plan was to move them into a much bigger tank quickly. But, then they kept dying and soon only the one Molly was left. As of now it's just the one Molly and some neons.
    I'd also like to mention that when there was the 5 mollies I did two 50% water changes a week to keep up with the bioload.

I'm using the API Master Kit and the API GH and KH.

The other mollies seemed to die for no reason. I never noticed a bent spine on the others.

10. Anders247

Well, this is odd.... perhaps it's the 'small' amount of ammonia that did it?

11. OP
    OP
    E

Would a ammonia poisoning really cause a bent spine? I've never heard of that before.

12. Dom90

Me neither, it's more likely they were bred that way from the beginning and it's just been more noticeable now.

13. OP
    OP
    E

Wouldn't it be a gradual change? Her spine was perfectly straight yesterday and just now it's bent.

Are there any precautions I should take in case it is TB?

14. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Bent spines are common in live bearers due to inbreeding. Was the fish bought as a juvi?

15. OP
    OP
    E

She was Pregnant when I got her and I haven't noticed any growth in the two months I've had her, so assume she is full grown.

I got a picture of her.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice