Beneifical bacteria

1. DarkFin Member Member

How long would these benecial bacteria live without water, i know there are a few bacteria that form cysts in dry times, but since i had to empty my tank and took out the gravel, would there still be some on the walls and on the filter? :;fb

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I don't think they would live very long once out of the water.

3. DarkFin Member Member

I guess that helps, i will just start over then. :(

4. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

i have read on this forum that the bacterial dries once the gravel is dried.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have read the same - it dies when it dries. However, I've heard that the time it takes to cycle media that's dried but already been cycled is much less than starting with fresh media. I haven't tested either of these theories.

6. Elvishswimmer Member Member

Only Gram-Positive bacilli bacteria are able to form spores (what I assume you mean by cysts), and those bacteria only form spores when they run out of nutrients. They won't form spores if the temperature changes to a lethal level, or if they dry out, unless they run out of nutrients at the same time.

The nitrogen oxidizing bacteria that are used to for your biological filter are Gram-negative and bacillus I think. I know for sure that they are Gram-negative, I just can't find their exact shape.

Anyways, they won't form spores :) When the bacteria dries out, it is dead.