Benefits to shrimp?

1. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I think they are creepy looking , especially the clear ones! But they seem popular and maybe if I learned about them more i might not think are so creepy :)

I have a 30 gallon that has 2 mystery snails, 2 Julii cory, 3 dalmation molies. In addition I plan to allow the 1 surviving fry to join once large enough. And also 2 more julii cories.

2 mystery snails
    4 julii cory
    4 dalmation mollies

Pea gravel, lightly planted with bacopa (idk it's common name but it's great for fry to hide in and can be planted or floated ).
    HOB filter.

I belive 1 or 2 molies are pregnant, all 3 adults are female. So I'm waiting a month before I add any more incase there are more fry, and will only want 6 total molly in my aquarium. So will let nature do its thing there.

So... shrimp! I'm wondering what kind of shrimp everyone has owned and their experiences with shrimp keeping.

What are their habits?
    do they really clean?
    do they clean well?
    Are they agresive at all?
    do they play with tank mates?
    Do they need certain substrates or plants ?
    How do they reproduce?
    Anything I should research before buying ?
    Are there black, white, or spotted species?

I usually gently scoop fish in my hands after acclimation to put them in the tank, can I safely touch shrimp or should I net them?

my tank is 80° but can be adjusted.

2. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I have ghosts and cherry,
    they , especially cherry, hang and wander around together, but also swim around on their own.
    aggresiveness varies by species, most are pretty low.
    do they clean, yes. Some eat algae, most will clean plants and eat old flakes in substrate, some will break down various other debris.
    they do pretty well with almost any plant, they breed better with moss.
    yes they come in black, white and/or spotted.

3. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

My local store only advertises the ghost shrimp. And those are the ones that creep me out lol. But im considering them anyways because i hear a lot of good things about them.

4. Skyy2112 Member Member

Ghost shrimp are generally wild caught (meaning they should be slowly acclimated to your water param's, and deaths are generally quite high) and the usual intent is feeders. But they can be great for tanks eating whatever is leftover, cleaning, and they have neat personalities. They will prefer planted tanks. 'Ghosties' dont have the same reproduction cycle as RCS (Red Cherries) so they are quite difficult to breed. The larvae (i bet) will become food for your mollies.

Would definitely recommend. Get atleast a half dozen. (Usually 30-50c per)

5. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I was thinking just 3 but if i can get 12 then i sure will.

My daughter has a 10 gallon and i was thinking of getting her some too, its home to 2 mystery snails and a male betta. He hasn't shown any aggression towards the snails or even the molly fry that has a 1 portion of the tank (divided) the fry won't be there much longer, while I'm at the pet store ill be picking up a breeder box or whatever fry live in until they're not bite sized. How many for hers? 6?

6. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Well i can order shrimp online, red cherry are out of stock right now. But they have other shrimps too. What about Amano or bee shrimp?

7. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Just an update i picked red cherry shrimp :) they only had 9 left so i got 6 for the 30 gallon and 3 for the 10. Also a breeder netted box for my molly fry. The shrimp are crawling all over everything lol. One was trying to ride on a snail :)

I have a feeling im going to become obsessed with shrimp now :) they went from creepy to kinda cute.

8. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I like ghosts for their antics myself.
    my bn plecs and gold barbs argue over algae wafers quite a bit, usually when one grabs a chucnk and swims away with it a piece willsnap off.
    like a ninja a shrimp creeps out of the shadowsgrabs the crumb and vanishes. :;nin2

they also are. Really fun in big tanks, because instead of crawling so much they occasioanlly do a hug burts like a squid or something and fly thefull length of a 55. ;)

9. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I've been watching them since i got home. At first they all disappeared!! But i turned over the cupcake house and they were all inside so i left them alone. They came out eventually and it was fun watching them ride the snails around :) im getting more this weekend!

10. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I have RCS and one ghost. They're a lot of fun to watch. The ghost is a bit calmer, but my rcs are regularly all over the tank. They will ride on the snails, play, swim around, etc. They're actually a lot more active than many fish ime, and I think it's hilarious to watch their little legs go as they swim.

Only downside I've seen so far is that they love to keep the driftwood clean, which results in tiny bits of wood around the substrate. Easy to clean up with vacuuming though.

They will also probably be more active with a larger number and once they are used to the tank.

11. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Yes I'm buying more today :) and adding my driftwood today. I've been soaking it for a few days now.