Benefits/cons Of A Sump For A 55 Gallon Freshwater Tank

Metone

Hey everyone, I've been into fish keeping for about a year and I've been trying to aid my best friend's dad as he is now binge buying for his fish keeping. They already have 4 aquariums in their house which I think is great, but he's set on turning his son's 10 gallon into a sump for his 55 gallon. The 55 currently has 2 Oscars, which he knows won't be sufficient forever, and a brown bullhead catfish. The tank's filtration is, as of the post being made, two 75 gallon Aqueon HOBs, and he does 30% water changes every week or so. I don't know what to recommend besides either a sponge filter or just buying a canister filter. I don't know his water parameters (bacterial), but his temperature is 82 degrees and his pH was ~6.8. I hope this helps, if anyone could give me some points to acquire just so I could tell him if it's worth it or not. Thanks in advance!

Rainy day

Maintenance is a lot easier, generally, since it's incredibly easy to get to the mechanical filtration. They also increase how many gallons your system is, which helps with your water quality as you've more dilution. They're also prettier as you won't have any long and unsightly intakes in your main display nor will you have heaters.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Soarin
Replies
Views
JayH
Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies
Views