Beneficial Bacteria? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by stiglitz, Apr 22, 2012.

1. stiglitz

stiglitzWell Known MemberMember

Instead of adding products that speed up the process of colonizing BB on new filter media, I took media that already had BB on it from my 55 gallon and stuck it on my cycling aquarium's filter that already has new media. Will this used filter media do a good enough job of helping the new media grow BB, or should I still go ahead and still buy a product to help the BB grow?

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi stiglitz,

Seeding media is one of the best ways to help kick-start the cycle in any aquarium (IMO).

You still need to keep an eye on parameters, as the colony grows in the new filter, but it's definitely a great way to start.

I wouldn't buy any product to help.

3. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

4. OP
    OP
    stiglitz

Thanks :) Right now I have the new media with the used media and I am "feeding" my tank fish flakes every 12 hours. I also put the temperature above 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I didn't mention it above, but I am doing the cycle fishless. Once I get 0ppm ammonia and 10-20 nitrate, I'm going to gravel vac all the remaining flakes and do a 25% water change. If my water parameters are still in check after the water change, I'm going to wait an additional week just to be safe! :) Another side note, I believe the used media is quite old, around 3-6 months.

Quick question, once my tank is cycled and I begin to add fish, should I keep the used media in the filter or take it out? Sounds like a dumb question I know, but I'm assuming I should leave it in there with the new media...?

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

There's no need to wait once the tank is cycled, waiting could inadvertently starve the bacteria, and cause a loss of cycle.

Personally, I'd leave the seeded media (old media) in the tank for about a month, then remove it.

6. OP
    OP
    stiglitz

Understood. Thanks guys ^_^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice