Beneficial bacteria question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Betta Splendid 1, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1 Well Known Member Member

2. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I think it's about 24 hours. But you can add fish food everyday to make sure that the bacteria have food.

3. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

Thanks oOBlueOo for telling me it's 24 hours

4. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I'm not 100% sure.

5. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

I have read posts by forum users who said that as long as the bacteria remain wet, they can go for quite some time. I would think several days is a reasonable guess.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

A couple weeks ago, jdhef had a power outage for about 28 hours and he said his bacteria survived the ordeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

Could they survive 3 days without food.

8. Dom90

Are you going on vacation during a fishless cycle or something?

9. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

My tank just finished cycling at the wrong time, before I go on vacation I will have someone be able to feed the bacteria in the tank 3 days after I leave. I do not want to add fish yet though because this person does not want to and is not experienced in keeping fish at all so yeah.

10. Dom90

We had a similar case the other day on forums. Just throw a raw shrimp or two to feed the bacteria while you are gone and it should be ok.

11. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

I will just put in 1 raw shrimp to last the bacteria 3 days of food then when the person can come they remove it and start using the pure ammonia we have to feed the bacteria it's much cleaner.

12. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

There is research that the BB doesn't quickly die off if there's no ammonia, as long as it's kept wet it goes dormant & can stay that way for quite a while. Once ammonia is reintroduced it 'wakes up', how quickly depends on how long it's been without an ammonia source

13. Dom90

Hmm sounds like a bottle of Stability. The bacteria inside are dormant and in a spore state or form. Once they hit the water, they awaken. At least that's what I made out from their website anyway.

14. OP
    OP
    Betta Splendid 1

So do I still use the raw shrimp or what now I'm confused.

15. Dom90

Yes it wouldnt hurt to do it.

16. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

are you sure you're not secretly a Seachem employee? lol j/k

17. Dom90

Lol no, but sometimes I do sound like a salesman talking about their products I guess.. I just do a lot of research online and on their website :D

The thing is, I hate any sales job, but sometimes, I think I would make a pretty good salesman..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice