Beneficial Bacteria and Sponge Filters??

Angelfish1

So I got some beneficial bacteria from my local petstore to seed our aquarium, but due to some changes we won't be able to get the sponge filter for a few more days. Will the beneficial bacteria die in a bag? Is it possible to help it survive until the sponge filter arrives? Also, once I get the sponge filter how do I ensure that the bacteria get's in the sponge, like do I just dip it in the bag?

GlennO

How was the bacteria supplied? Is it gravel some other media? If so you could put it in a media bag and hang it in your aquarium.

Upvote 0

Angelfish1

How was the bacteria supplied? Is it gravel some other media? If so you could put it in a media bag and hang it in your aquarium.
The shop owner just squeezed the water out of a sponge filter they had and gave it to me, so it's just water from the sponge filter.

Upvote 0

GlennO

The shop owner just squeezed the water out of a sponge filter they had and gave it to me, so it's just water from the sponge filter.

Ok. It might survive for a few days. Might help if you can put an air stone in the bag. When you get the sponge soak up as much as it will hold.

Upvote 0

Angelfish1

Ok. It might survive for a few days. Might help if you can put an air stone in the bag. When you get the sponge soak up as much as it will hold.
should I leave the bag open?

Upvote 0

Derek88242

the bacteria lives on the sponge...so i am not sure how effective dirty water from a squeezed out sponge is going to be at providing beneficial bacteria.

Upvote 0

Angelfish1

the bacteria lives on the sponge...so i am not sure how effective dirty water from a squeezed out sponge is going to be at providing beneficial bacteria.
Yeah I was questioning how this would work, I'm really confused on where the beneficial bacteria is in in a sponge filter. Like is it just the water the sponge has soaked up? Or does it live ON the sponge and not in the water the sponge holds. Because if it is that I'm not sure why the store gave me the water when I asked for some bacteria for the sponge filter. I would expect them to know best but I'm really not sure since this kind of filter is foreign to me.

Upvote 0

Brutal Riot Girl

I would put an air stone in the bad and I would also get whatever substrate your using and put some of it in the bag too or if you have aquarium rocks I would put them in your bad of bacteria, maybe some of the good bacteria will plant itself on the stones and substrate

Upvote 0

Angelfish1

I would put an air stone in the bad and I would also get whatever substrate your using and put some of it in the bag too or if you have aquarium rocks I would put them in your bad of bacteria, maybe some of the good bacteria will plant itself on the stones and substrate
The only problem with that is the new aquarium will use sand as substrate.

Upvote 0

Derek88242

Yeah I was questioning how this would work, I'm really confused on where the beneficial bacteria is in in a sponge filter. Like is it just the water the sponge has soaked up? Or does it live ON the sponge and not in the water the sponge holds. Because if it is that I'm not sure why the store gave me the water when I asked for some bacteria for the sponge filter. I would expect them to know best but I'm really not sure since this kind of filter is foreign to me.
Your correct I am confused myself as to why the store gave you that. There are a few places that sell seeded sponge filters... But they sell the entire sponge because that's where the bacteria lives.

Upvote 0

Angelfish1

Your correct I am confused myself as to why the store gave you that. There are a few places that sell seeded sponge filters... But they sell the entire sponge because that's where the bacteria lives.
For now just to play it safe I’m going to use a 10-gallon filter with some filter media from an established tank I have in addition to the sponge filter.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Correct it lives ON the sponge. But some is released in the dirty water that is squeezed out and I have successfully used that method in the past when setting up fry tanks with new sponge filters. It is definitely preferable to get a whole used sponge though if possible. That way you're getting all of the bacteria and not just a small portion of it.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

For now just to play it safe I’m going to use a 10-gallon filter with some filter media from an established tank I have in addition to the sponge filter.
Using seeded media from your own cycled tank is the best way to jump start the cycle in another tank. What he gave you might help but not as much as your own seeded media.

Upvote 0

Angelfish1

Using seeded media from your own cycled tank is the best way to jump start the cycle in another tank. What he gave you might help but not as much as your own seeded media.
Correct it lives ON the sponge. But some is released in the dirty water that is squeezed out and I have successfully used that method in the past when setting up fry tanks with new sponge filters. It is definitely preferable to get a whole used sponge though if possible. That way you're getting all of the bacteria and not just a small portion of it.
Just to be safe I'll seed both filters to lower the chances of them crashing and I'll put in my giant danios first to help any further cycling that needs to happen.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Be wary of diseases as well, pet store aquariums are usually all connected to the same sump

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FloatyGimpy
Replies
Views
newbietetra
  • Question
Replies
Views
Paytonfish