Behavior in store vs behavior at home?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by StarGirl2, Mar 24, 2010.

1. S

StarGirl2 New Member Member

Hi, I've read in some profiles of the fish I'd like to keep, I'll give angels and gouramis as examples, that these fish should be kept only as singles or pairs. In some store aquariums however, I've seen them kept with a lot of others of their type and they are very peaceful towards each other. Could i use their behavior in the store as an indicator as to how they would act in a home aquarium?

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Welcome to our site!!

No, in the store they are just crammed it the tanks to get sold. They are usually stressed and even at their best coloring. Trust the profiles.

3. OP
    OP
    S

I went to one lfs for the first time today and their tanks were pretty spotless. The fish actually weren't crowded at all, uncommon I know! haha but anyways in one of the tanks, i think it was 30 gal maybe (i'm eyeballin it) they had four angels, 2 black and 2 opal color, and 4 or 5 of some smaller fish and they were all very peaceful. And in the gouramis it was a similar set up. Either way i would probably just get one to be safe.

4. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

When you see them in stores they have just arrived and are stressed somewhat from being shipped. Also most stores will limit decorations in their tanks to keep them from establishing territories and therefor that helps eliminate a lot of aggression. The stores are hoping to sell them before the problems start. Over stocking them helps this while the fish are in their tanks for that short time.

Brian

5. OP
    OP
    S

That definitely makes sense, the store didn't have a lot of plants or rocks in the tanks.

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Keeping the tanks bare of decor makes it easier to catch them also. :)

7. OP
    OP
    S

Haha true true some of them were so tiny! And definitely cute lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice