Behavior in store vs behavior at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarGirl2

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, I've read in some profiles of the fish I'd like to keep, I'll give angels and gouramis as examples, that these fish should be kept only as singles or pairs. In some store aquariums however, I've seen them kept with a lot of others of their type and they are very peaceful towards each other. Could i use their behavior in the store as an indicator as to how they would act in a home aquarium?

OP
S

StarGirl2

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I went to one lfs for the first time today and their tanks were pretty spotless. The fish actually weren't crowded at all, uncommon I know! haha but anyways in one of the tanks, i think it was 30 gal maybe (i'm eyeballin it) they had four angels, 2 black and 2 opal color, and 4 or 5 of some smaller fish and they were all very peaceful. And in the gouramis it was a similar set up. Either way i would probably just get one to be safe.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you see them in stores they have just arrived and are stressed somewhat from being shipped. Also most stores will limit decorations in their tanks to keep them from establishing territories and therefor that helps eliminate a lot of aggression. The stores are hoping to sell them before the problems start. Over stocking them helps this while the fish are in their tanks for that short time.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom