Behavior for platys Question

Discussion in 'Platy' started by insanedreams77, Nov 28, 2012.

1. i

insanedreams77 Valued Member Member

My platys tend to go sidewise when another fish gets to close is that normal?

2. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

My platties dont do that. What other fish are they in the tank with and what size tank is it?

3. OP
    OP
    i

4. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello.

What do you mean, sidewise? Are only the male platies doing it? I've seen my male spread his fins out and turn sideway to another female before chasing her off. He does it a lot. I've also seen my females do it to each other, but not very often.

EDIT. I just read your profile. If the information is correct, then you have some problems in your tank that could be stressing your fish, causing them to feel threatened and display aggression to each other.

Is your profile updated? If so, first thing to do is get your water parameters healthy. No level of ammonia is healthy, so do a partial water change with a dechlorinator/conditioner like Prime. Check your nitrite and nitrate levels also.

Next, how many tanks do you have? If you have just one 10 gallon with all those fish in it, then that is another reason the fish are stressed. They are crowded and cramped and fighting each other for space. The solution is to put some of them in another tank.

Anyway keep us posted.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. OP
    OP
    i

It is only the male and only every so often. Maybe it does it only around the female but I haven't noticed. I do daily water changes. And no I haven't updated I have been busy with a baby kitten latly.

6. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

Platy mating looks like: male turns sideways, jabs at the other fish with his gonopodium, and then either does it again or chases after the other fish if it tries to get away from him. Is this what you're seeing?

Please note that male platies will attempt to mate even with some other species of fish... someone once posted that they saw a platy attempting to mate with a betta.

7. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

This is true. Males will turn sideways to enject the female. If you watch closely while this behavior is going on, you will see him doing his deed! LOL The male that is trying to mate with the female will run off the other males and other fish that come near. My male guppy tries to mate with my mollies! I have been told that they can do this and the babies will be called muppies!!! lol I wouldn't worry, it sounds like you just have a male wanting his woman!!! lol On another note: You should try to rehome some of your fish or get another tank because it is too crowded. I know it does not look like it is but fish need space. The more fish in a small confined area, the more ammonia you will always have in that tank. Ammonia of anything other than 0 is very toxic to your fish. I am soory to add to your stress right now but this is true. SORRY. :(

8. OP
    OP
    i

Trust me I already knew about my tank over crowded. Oh and the ammonia is down now. I just haven't updated and I still do water changes everyday. Ugh so stressed. But your fit it does look like that cuz it is only the male doing it and it chases after the othe fish. Lol that is crazy.

9. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

I had one very ahem... randy male at the time it was him two other males and 5 females... he had dibs on all the females and erm... one of the males (the other male just avoided him)..... much to the other males shock.... and to mine when the the other bloke started to let him have his way with him!

10. OP
    OP
    i

Fish are just so funny aren't they? Lol.

11. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

(face palm) :;laughing

12. OP
    OP
    i

Hehe I know right.

13. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

unfortunately I don't think I have any of his fry surviving they turned so orange and spotable!!

14. OP
    OP
    i

Ah I am sorry. I was thinkin of adding another female platy of a different color in my tank but I ain't sure.

15. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

In your 10gal? Noooo. Adding more fish to that stocking would not be good for your tank.

16. OP
    OP
    i

I have a 29 gallon tankthat I am going to set up. I didn't mean now. Oh gosh no. I just added a new male guppie since my old one died. I am going to work to make my own strine for platys guppies and swordtails. It keeps me busy with everything that has happened to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice