Beginning stock and plants for 36g Bowfront

1. Aludar Member Member

So after much perusal and waiting its time to plan out and prepare for my new 36g Bowfront. Planning for it to be a community tank I believe with 1 or 2 central fish: Angelfish, Gourami, or maybe a Cockatoo Cichlid (really liked the colors I've seen on this one). Very open to suggestions and comments. As for tankmates I was considering a cory breed and maybe a schooling variety or two.

First order of business this week is to set up the tank itself and test my base water that'll be used in the tank so that I can get that cycling as I shop around locally for my prospective fishy family. I do plan on it being a little planted, not heavily as it will be a low tech tank but just enough for everyone to be comfortable and I believe I plan on using a coal slag substrate of some sort(still comparing if what I can get access to is compatible/safe)

Hopefully I provided enough info to get the help/ideas I need and sorry for my horrible forum editing.
    Have learned a lot since visiting this site and appreciate all constructive advice/tips.

2. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I have a 36g bowfront as well. In it, I have a male pearl gourami, 11 cherry barbs, 12 espei rasboras, and a m/f pair of cockatoo cichlids.

3. Aludar Member Member

Would it be ok to do a single Cockatoo and any other recommendations besides the rasboras?

4. Geoff Well Known Member Member

Sure you could. And you could probably do just about any warm-temp tetra (so no neons), as long as they're not especially nippy (the gourami has long fins).

5. Aludar Member Member

Sorry for bringing this back up but I have nothing better to do as I wait for my tank to finish cycling.
    Went to a LFS that I completely forgot about nearby and they had some really nice looking Panda Corys amongst other wonderful specimens.

So now I'm leaning more towards something like the following:
    36g Bowfront
    1x Pearl or Opaline Gourami
    6-10 Cherry Barbs
    6 Panda cory

I feel having seen the fish in person rather than in pictures and videos that there could be an addition/change of some sort. I really wanted an Angelfish to be honest but corys are really fun to watch so another centerpiece of color perhaps?