Beginning stock and plants for 36g Bowfront

1. Aludar

Aludar Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    So after much perusal and waiting its time to plan out and prepare for my new 36g Bowfront. Planning for it to be a community tank I believe with 1 or 2 central fish: Angelfish, Gourami, or maybe a Cockatoo Cichlid (really liked the colors I've seen on this one). Very open to suggestions and comments. As for tankmates I was considering a cory breed and maybe a schooling variety or two.

First order of business this week is to set up the tank itself and test my base water that'll be used in the tank so that I can get that cycling as I shop around locally for my prospective fishy family. I do plan on it being a little planted, not heavily as it will be a low tech tank but just enough for everyone to be comfortable and I believe I plan on using a coal slag substrate of some sort(still comparing if what I can get access to is compatible/safe)

Hopefully I provided enough info to get the help/ideas I need and sorry for my horrible forum editing.
    Have learned a lot since visiting this site and appreciate all constructive advice/tips.

2. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +443
    I have a 36g bowfront as well. In it, I have a male pearl gourami, 11 cherry barbs, 12 espei rasboras, and a m/f pair of cockatoo cichlids.

3. OP
    OP
    Aludar

Aludar Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Would it be ok to do a single Cockatoo and any other recommendations besides the rasboras?

4. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +443
    Sure you could. And you could probably do just about any warm-temp tetra (so no neons), as long as they're not especially nippy (the gourami has long fins).

5. OP
    OP
    Aludar

Aludar Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry for bringing this back up but I have nothing better to do as I wait for my tank to finish cycling.
    Went to a LFS that I completely forgot about nearby and they had some really nice looking Panda Corys amongst other wonderful specimens.

So now I'm leaning more towards something like the following:
    36g Bowfront
    1x Pearl or Opaline Gourami
    6-10 Cherry Barbs
    6 Panda cory

I feel having seen the fish in person rather than in pictures and videos that there could be an addition/change of some sort. I really wanted an Angelfish to be honest but corys are really fun to watch so another centerpiece of color perhaps?