Beginning Saltwater Fish???

offminded
Hey All,

I am looking at starting a 55 gallon FOWLR tank and would like some input as to some good starter fish. I was thinking of some chromis and a flame angel to start...any thoughts?

atmmachine816
Chromis should be fine, though not sure on compatibility of a flame angel. Maybe somebody else will know about that one.

Peterpiper
Here is a link to a marine compatibilty chart

NirvanaandTool
Chromis are great starter fish - definitely fun to watch. I have 3 in my tank and love em.
Not too sure about how the flame angel would be - Some dwarf angels can be semi-aggressive so you might want to be cautious with that match.

Gozer_1
I agree Chromis are a great place to start with. I've heard that the Flame Angel is a little less aggressive than others. The Compatibility chart Peterpiper posted shows Chromis and Flames as compatible. Being a FOWLR you should be ok. I hear Angels will pick at corals. Not sure how they'd treat clean up crew. Might poke at snails. I hate it when my snails get picked on.

offminded
worst case scenario i'd start with just the chromis and a clean up crew...just for starters and then branch out...

Gozer_1
That's a fantastic idea. If you plan for any aggressive fishes then you want to add them last. That will give your friendlier fishes to a. find good hiding spots and b. have a claim already staked.

NirvanaandTool
I'd leave the clean up crew (or most of them) til after your tank is established- don't want to starve the cleaners with nothing to clean. I just got the majority of my cleanup crew and I'm about a month into starting my tank.
You can always go with another fish instead of the angel for now - maybe a goby or a blenny or some other sort of bottom dweller. And if you get an algae eating blenny they will help clean the tank too (i.e. a lawnmower or a bicolor blenny.)
How many chromis do you plan to get?

offminded
that's a great idea...I love how blennies and gobies look...I think that they are two of the coolest loking fish around. I wasn't too sure about how many chromis to be honest...maybe around 3 or 4? along with a goby and/or blenny...assuming they're compatible. I am actually going to buy my tank and stand this weekend...so my tank will soon be a reality...any thoughts?

NirvanaandTool
3 to 4 Chromis will be fine - and they should be fine with the blenny or goby. My chromis really don't care about my bicolor blenny or my PJ cardinals - all they care about is food and who's the top chromis in the pack.

Pick up the tank, stand and any equipment and get it all setup. I would also consider getting live rock soon so you can get started on the cycling process now.

offminded
thanks for the advice...I can't wait to get started...Happy Thanksgiving!

≈ D ≈
HI davbrown79,

Congrats on getting ready for the saltwater setup. I'm also going to be doing the same after X-mas.:;rudolph

After you get the liverock in and all parameters are good , I'd be inclined to add the 4 Chromis first.

Some suggestions after that (My
Yellow Stripe Neon Goby, Gobiosoma genie
Orchid Dottyback, Pseudochromis fridmani
MacNeill's Basslet, Assessor macneilli

If you do get a Dwarf Angelfish, add it last to the aquarium.

Best of luck with the tank and be sure to post some pictures when it's up and running

Regards,
;co

offminded
why add the chromis first? and about how long after would you recommend I add the angel? I am actually thinking that I would rather add a clownfish instead of the angel...thoughts?

Howeyg
I had a look at my lfs and the dwarf flame angels are around £60 each for a fish it is an expensive but a very beautiful fish

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
rholden11
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
AbeTheMudokon
Replies
Views