Beginning Plants

alyssakay1998

Hello!

Right now, I have a 10 gallon fresh water tank and I am in the process of setting up my larger 25 gallon tank. During this transition, I would like to move on to live plants and away from fake. I know there are a lot of benefits to this. I am looking for any advise that I can get in terms of what plants to get, how many of each front, mid, and foreground plants. I have a large bottom feeder, 3 zebra fish, and 2 angelfish so plants that are ok with these types of fish would be great! I have purchased a good substrate that is supposed to be very good for plant growth. I would also like to stay away from CO2 if possible. Also ,I live in Michigan so any good places to get plants would be good to know. I may have to order online becasue there are no pet stores or anything near me. If I get bigger then I would think about that but not right now. Any advise to a beginner would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Ghelfaire

Anubias comes in all sizes if you like broad leaves, practically unkillable. You don't need to plant it, it can float or attach to driftwood/rocks

Java ferns are good, you can just attach it to rocks or driftwood

Anacharis will grow tall and skinny, it's literally a weed so it should survive just fine.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

If you're going to get plants, I would recommend getting a light intended to grow aquarium plants, an all-in-one fertilizer, and soil. It will open up more options to you.

Here are my favorite low tech plants: cryptocorynes, vallisnerias, anubias, bucephilandras, Hygrophila difformis, Rotala rotundifolia, tiger lotus, java fern, and java moss.

Upvote 0

alyssakay1998

Anubias comes in all sizes if you like broad leaves, practically unkillable. You don't need to plant it, it can float or attach to driftwood/rocks

Java ferns are good, you can just attach it to rocks or driftwood

Anacharis will grow tall and skinny, it's literally a weed so it should survive just fine.
Thank you for the tips I will look into those! Would you suggest staying away from moss? I was looking at it and was thinking about getting some christmas moss and didn't know if it was too hard to grow.
If you're going to get plants, I would recommend getting a light intended to grow aquarium plants, an all-in-one fertilizer, and soil. It will open up more options to you.

Here are my favorite low tech plants: cryptocorynes, vallisnerias, anubias, bucephilandras, Hygrophila difformis, Rotala rotundifolia, tiger lotus, java fern, and java moss.
Thank you for the tips! I have a light coming that I hope will work! I will definitely look into a fertilizer as well as soil and thank you for the plant suggestions!

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Moss is great too. Should grow like crazy

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
awilkinson871
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fisch