Beginning my fish tank and need help! 29 Gallon Tank 

ilovethesharks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi i just recently bought a 29 gallon aquarium kit and got some decorations but need some help on deciding what fish to get. I was thinking if i could get a couple sharks that that would be great. Also i wouldnt mind some colorful fish and liked the neon on some fish i looked at. any advice would be great thanks!!

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!!

It says you don't know about the Nitrogen Cycle so here is a link: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

The tank should be cycled before adding any fish to it. When cycling your tank you will need to test the water. The API Master Test Kit (liquid) is a great test kit. Also did you already buy a water conditioner? If not Prime is a good water conditioner.

Sharks should be kept in a big aquarium like 100 gallons or more.
Here is a site that will help you with stocking questions:

Other members will respond with a lot more information that will help you.

Good luck!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Definatly learn about the nitrogen cycle, and cycle your tank first (It will save you money and heartache, trust me).

Then after your tank is cycled you can add fish.

While your cycling your tank you can pick the fish that you really like and do some research on them and make sure you can offer them what they need (like space and food). Personally all the fish that I like have to be solitary or wouldnt get along with each other, so I dont have much advice on stocking

GL

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I've moved this thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to receive more responses. The Forum Issues section is for problems people are having with the forum itself and not their fish tanks.

Thanks!
Ken

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Schooling fish are nice, any kind of tetra. I personally have neons and serpaes, which I like. Cardinal tetras are kind of a more hardy version of a neon. These liked to be kept in schools of at least 5 or more, keep in mind.
If you're interested in livebearers, I like guppies Their tails are pretty and they are fairly gentle fish.
Corys are also something to consider for bottom feeders They like to school in at least 3s or 4s. Panda cories are cute! I have my eye on some at the LFS for when my tank is done cycling.

Hope this helped

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What sort of sharks are you interested in? They are pretty much all too big for a 29 gallon. Iridescent sharks and Bala sharks are a complete no no. Too Big. Bala only get to about 14 inches but like to be kept in groups. Still way to big at one in a 29 gallon. Red Tails and rainbows need to be kept singly but get a bit too big and need territory which a 29 g does not give them. I'd be looking at other fish types for that size tank.

ilovethesharks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
need help deciding on more fish

hi i recently bought a 29 gallon tank and waited a week to get the tank up and running and than tested it. Everything was good so i decided to go get a couple fish. I went and bought 2 angelicus botias(loach) that say they get to 4" maximum. i was looking for more fish but cant decide. I was thinking at least another botia and maybe a rainbow shark. Any suggestions?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore
Hope you don't mind, I merged your new thread with your old one since members had repsonded in your old thread.
Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads