Beginning build on a 3 tiered 150g acrylic tank

ooosparkeyooo

I just bought a 3 tiered tank from my LFS that is relocating to a bigger facility and getting all new tanks. The tanks are all acrylic and around 50+gal capacity each for a total of over 150 gallons. They are all inside a "bookshelf" and have a light set up above each tank built into the shelving that is 4 t-12s. No pictures yet I was to excited when I bought it to even think about electronics.

I plan on drilling each tank and plumbing them all together with 1 1/2" PVC to create a overflow style filter system which will be powered by a 1400 GPH Canister that has about a 15 gallon volume.

I then plan on having each tank to be a different set up to allow for my MTS so I don't have to keep buying new tanks for different fish.

Top Tank:
Will be a wild guppy,Multi-shrimp colony or Cory Colony and Soil planted tank. The first think I will do is retro fit the old lights into 4- T5's. Next I was going to go with some MGOC and cap it with some red or some black CaribSea Flora Max Planted Aquarium Substrate. Then Ill probably just do a gallon jug of DIY Co2 Add in with chemical fertilizers occasionally. I'm thinking a few swords maybe some crypts, red ludwigia, java moss and java fern, Also will house 2- 300 Watt heaters. Maybe a few limestone rocks.

Middle Tank:
Will behold a few Angels, Mixed Tetra species, an Albino Longfin Bristlenose pleco, 2 Swords in soiled Terracotta Pots, White Sand, and a giant chunk of African Root Drift wood covered in Java Moss as a Center piece. Then Retrofitted light to 4- T8's. Maybe a few limestone rocks.

Bottom Tank:
Will be home to my 8 single species African Chichlids fry I have- 4 Female and 4 Male. Brown Sand, Limestone Rocks, then either some very hardy plants or plastic plants. Then of course the Retro fitted T8's. With Maybe a miniature Pleco species like a regular BN.

Questions:
Will 1 1/2" PVC have way to much current for 1400gph? should I just go to 2"?

Any recommendations for my plants that'd do well or better then what Ive suggested?

General Comments, concerns, questions, input?

Claire Bear

Hi, Nice set up and congratulations. I do have a concern, if you plan to filter all three with the one canister-you are getting fish, imo with different requirements. The Africans, as you know like really hard water while the Angels will want soft. The limestone will leach but if the filter does all three, will this be an issue?

ooosparkeyooo

I know That they have the different requirements my baby chilids have been in my guppy tank since birth. I'm thinking. With a inbetween ground they should be fine especially with them growing on a less then hard tank set up since birth.

ooosparkeyooo

0920141105a-1.jpg

This is with a few of the panels removed

ooosparkeyooo

0924141328-1.jpg

My 3 foot tall ish 1400gph canister filter came today along with my two heaters.

Marie1

My 3 foot tall ish 1400gph canister filter came today along with my two heaters.

I've never had one, but always thought those were cool filters. Love seeing you standing next to it. AWESOME

Sent from my VCR using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

ooosparkeyooo

That's my wife lol

dakota

That's Mrs Sparkey

ooosparkeyooo

Yup that's my little wifey.

Oh also after some measurements the tank is actually 3- 60 gallontanks so 180g total with a 15 gallon filter.

Marie1

That's my wife lol
My bad! Mrs. Sparkey isn't much bigger than that filter!

dakota

She took off her HIGH HEELS Thanks

ooosparkeyooo

Lol yea she is only 4'9". Lol the filter is a inch shy of 3 feet.

ooosparkeyooo

Guess what I got to pick up today!?!

0926141735a.jpg

0926141735.jpg

0926141753.jpg

0926141753a.jpg

ooosparkeyooo

Here she is up and running. I still have a lot to do before she outs finished so don't judge to much yet.

1011141225.jpg
1413048520443.jpg
1413048562990.jpg
1413048585092.jpg

Tonia

Looks great so far! What an awesome setup!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Devourment
Replies
Views
BigBeardDaHuZi
Replies
Views
Frogtank1
Replies
Views