Beginning A Planted Tank

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Now that my divided betta tank is in need of some work, I figured I might as well do a full makeover on it, so I've decided to go with a live planted tank. The tank is 10 gallons with a couple sponge filters and a sand substrate, I would love to hear recommendations for easy plants that won't require anything extra and will do well under a cheap LED (if this is possible, no experience with live plants). I don't plan to do anything crazy with this tank, so I want to keep it cheap and simple.

sleow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Reeferxbetta said:
Now that my divided betta tank is in need of some work, I figured I might as well do a full makeover on it, so I've decided to go with a live planted tank. The tank is 10 gallons with a couple sponge filters and a sand substrate, I would love to hear recommendations for easy plants that won't require anything extra and will do well under a cheap LED (if this is possible, no experience with live plants). I don't plan to do anything crazy with this tank, so I want to keep it cheap and simple.
Anubias is one of my favorite low maintenance plants. It has broad leaves that bettas love and it doesn't need to be planted in substrate, if fact it shouldn't be. Just tie or glue it to some rock or decor, or use a suction cup and attach it to the wall.

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sleow said:
Anubias is one of my favorite low maintenance plants. It has broad leaves that bettas love and it doesn't need to be planted in substrate, if fact it shouldn't be. Just tie or glue it to some rock or decor, or use a suction cup and attach it to the wall.
Goldiemom said:
I have to agree with the anubias. It's pretty, stays healthy, easy to grow and doesn't make a mess.
Thanks! I really like the look of anubias, so I'll definitely have to get some. What about water wisteria and java moss? Should those be fairly low maintenance, easy plants. I don't want to cram the tank with plants, but I'm thinking of trying 2-3 different kinds, so I have a little variety.

LowieTheLoach

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I really like anacharis because of how tall it grows in my tank. I haven't gotten a proper light for my big tank yet and all it gets is morning sun from the window. It's still thriving and I've already been able to trim and replant some of it. I've also had a lot of luck with the crypts in a few of my tanks.

sleow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have also had good luck with my jungle vals. They get morning sunlight and standard aquarium lighting throughout the day. I've gotten two new shoots out of them in the few weeks I've had them. I do give them liquid ferts though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom