Beginner's tank... overstocked ?

h4nd

Reaction score
Hi... I am a beginner in freshwater tank.

I have 20galon tank, with:

* 1 (young) male and 2 females of swordtail
* 7 neon tetra
* 1 male betta splendens
* 1 albino pleco (+- 3 inch)
* 1 crayfish

The fishes looked very happy. They are very energetic and always roaming around the tank.
pH is 6.5

What do you think? Is my tank overstocked ? I have a plan to buy a small Black Ghost fish.
My tank is fully cycled now. And.. I think i am starting to have a Multi Tank Syndrome, so I plan to buy a 2nd tank

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank looks good for now as far as stocking. Depending on what kind of albino plec you have as to whether it stays that way Some plecs get huge.
There definarely isn't room for a Black Ghose Knife fish in that tank, they also need specific conditions met in their tank.
Welcome to fishLore. Stop in at the welcome forum and let us welcome you properly.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If your pleco stays at 3", you should leave your tank just the way it is. I wouldn't add anymore fish to it. It seems fully stocked already (if not a bit overstocked). Plecos can grow very large, so find out what is the adult size of your pleco.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ghostfish, since they don't have scales, are extremely sensitive during water-changes, and do well with sand-substrates when it comes to eating..gravel-substrates can be tough on them even if you go for a small grain..also be careful which tank you place yours in, I'm thinking because Ghostfish have long flowing pelvic-fins, a Betta tank-mate may not be a good idea...my best advice would be to do extensive research on Ghostfish requirements, and then stock your second tank, when you purchase it, with the perfect tank-mates for him along with a sand-substrate.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The other problem with the Betta in this tank is that you must watch the Neon Tetras as they have been known to be fin nippers and will decimate the fins of your betta and cause a bad case of fin rot or bacterial infection of the fins if not watched carefully. This can happen very slowly so it may not be noticable unless you watch very closely.

Rose

h4nd

Reaction score
Hi...Thank you for the suggestions

I definitely need a 2nd tank !
When I got home this evening... I found out that my Crayfish ate one of my female swordtail :'(

I feel really sorry for her.. coz she is pregnant

I don't really know what's going on with my crayfish...
I've put him in the tank for 1 week.. and nothing happened.

But today is different story

I am planning to buy 2nd tank tomorrow, and put my crayfish and my pleco in it

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I too have a Crayfish and so have a fair idea of how territorial they can be..the ideal tankmates for Crayfish are ones who never go to the bottom to feed or sleep, that rules out the Pleco, the Swordtails, and the Betta ( I've seen Bettas, when comfortable in a tank, sleep at the bottom or on small leafy plants, and Crayfish always go after plants to shred them with their claws) ..the Neons could work as tankmates as they tend to be mid to upper-level feeders.. your surest bet though would be to go for a species that never goes down for any reason, Hatchet-Fish come to mind.. a small school of Hatchet-Fish can be quite lively and entertaining, and I've never seen them go down to the lower levels of a tank to feed or sleep, so they should be fairly safe from your Crayfish.. I'm sure you know too that any tank you place a Crayfish in has to be completely covered, because they 're always trying to escape.

h4nd

Reaction score
You are absolutely right about the Crayfish always try to escape.. Richard
Mine had been escape from the tank once.. ;D

Lucky for me (and him), I found him.. and quickly put him back in the tank

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom