beginner

1. CQ Initiate Member

First time with a 5 gallon tank.
    Two fish got "glued" to the filter while swimming near it and died.
    How can I avoid this accident with the rest of the fish?

There are two left in the tank.

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

What do you mean by "glued" to the filter? Sort of "sucked in"? Maybe your filter is too strong for a 5 gallon tank, or maybe the fish are too small or too delicate to escape the strong current created by the filter. Or maybe they were sick? What kind of a filter (and how strong) and what type(s) of fish do you have?

3. CQ Initiate Member

Yes, these were "sucked in" I do feel these were too small. I just bought two larger ones. These I think are called tigers, these have black stripes and a small one of the same kind is still alive in the tank. I will find out more about the filter as it was the one the store sold me with the 5 gallon tank.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

5. CQ Initiate Member

I've been having difficulties finding how to reply in this format.

Yes, it is the tiger barb fish. There are three now and no more of the same kind.
    After reading about this type of fish, I will leave it like it is ; so far so good.

Based on what I read in this forum I need to buy the test kit # 601267. Thanks to this system I am learning a lot about changing the water and testing it. And I only thought it was a matter of feeding the fish with a few water changes!

Thank you for your reply.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I've been in this hobby a good while now and I'm still learning, so keep up the good job ;)
    Carol

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

LOL, CQ ... Butterfly is just being modest, as she always is. In reality, she's an expert at this!
    And did you find out what filter type you have?