Beginner with a Mega Biorb 16L

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by mymooser, Mar 30, 2010.

1. m

mymooser New Member Member

I got a Mega 16l Biorb with the Marine conversion kit for a christmas present from my Father in Law. I hadn't set it up as I didn't have time during the holidays to really do the research but now I'm looking into it more closely. That and he stopped by the house the other day and asked my why I didn't open my present from him! HA!
    I know that there are people who have critizized the Biorb by it's my goal to have only one maybe two fish in there (preferably clown fish) as I know 16l is not a lot of space.
    Before I get started I wanted to follow up on a few beginer questions I have. As I'm creating my shopping list for the fish store this weekend!

Do clown fish require a heater? If so, I'll add one to my list.
    Is it possible to sustain a small reef tank in a biorb? Or should my goal only stay with a fish and live rock tank?

I started reading about the 'clean up crew', can anyone suggest what I should get to be my clean up crew with my clown fish in my Biorb?

Any suggestions and help to get my started are appreciate.
    Again, my goal is to keep this as small and safe as possible with what I have to work with!

Thanks for your help!

2. nate21887

nate21887 Valued Member Member

IMO that small of a tank i would go with a FOWLR, you can still keep a couple inverts and still be safe and yes you will most likely need a heater.

3. OP
    OP
    m

I don't mind going with just FOWLR.
    I will add the heater to my shopping list.
    I plan on starting the cycle late next week and buying all I can to get started this weekend.

Why type of inverts do you suggest I get to eventually match with the one maybe two clown fish I plan on getting in the future?

4. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I personally would say 16l isn't enough room for 2 clownfish.

If it was me I would stock it with one yellow coral goby and one cleaner shrimp.

5. OP
    OP
    m

My mistake!!
    I meant to type 16 gallon not 16 litters! Ooppsey! So you're looking at around 60 litters!

Would one clown fish be okay with a 16 gallon?...
    What do you think?

6. platy ben

Oh, 16G is better :D

I think 2 clownfish would be fine but that would have to be all that was in the tank

7. OP
    OP
    m

Would I not have the room for the inverts or cleaner guys I've been reading about if I had the one maybe two clowns?

8. platy ben

I think all you could have as cleaners would be a handful of hermit crabs

9. OP
    OP
    m

Hermit crabs would be cute!

How warm will the tank have to be for the crabs and a clown fish?

Also, is it necessary to have live sand if I will have live rock?
    Should I also have live plants for the fish and crabs or will fake plants be good if I have the live rock? (Just trying to think of other colors to add to the tank)...

10. nate21887

it would be best to buy live sand if you can afford it but if you buy live rock it will seed the sand with neccasary bacteria. the tank temp should be in the high seventies, i keep mine at 76. as far as plants go they are not have to have items but dont hurt anything, i would buy a small amount of chaeto algae, it would help with the nitrogen cycle usin up such gases.

11. OP
    OP
    m

Live sand in the Biorb? I really wonder is that's okay or if it will mess up the tank?
    The tank came with ceramic media. I'm not sure if it's okay to add sand in this type of tank.

What do I do with the chaeto algae? Do I just lay it in the tank as part of the decor?

12. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

Live sand is optional. It doesn't affect any biological filtration at all (very tiny to notice) unless its a deep sand bed.

Also, for 16 gal, make sure its a small type of clown. Like occelaris, perculas, etc. NO gold stripe maroon, maroons, or any other large type of clowns.

13. OP
    OP
    m

I probably know the answer to this question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.
    :;dk

Would it be possible to have any of these in my 60 liter tank along with one (maybe two) clown fish and his hermit crab friends?

-Star fish
    -sea horse
    - shrimp
    - Sea urchin
    - Goby
    or
    -Damselfish

I'm not thinking of adding all of these. Maybe one of the above and then the one clown fish.
    If you all recomend to only stick with the one (maybe two) clown fish and his hermit crabs friends, then I will.

Let me know what you all think
    :;thx

14. OP
    OP
    m

Yes, I was only intending on getting the little little clown fish like occelaris. Thanks for the warning :)

Have you had experiance with putting sand in the Biorb?

15. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

I never had a biorb osrry. I do not like sand in my tanks as they always fly around becuase of the powerheads. Only make things harder IMO.

16. nate21887

i would say yes to maybe one or two of those but you have minimal space and dont want to create a bio overload in the tank, just be real careful and watch your water perimeters

17. platy ben

I would say yes to the shrimp or the goby :)

18. OP
    OP
    m

Cool. I think I'll go with the hermit crabs, a shrimp, and 1 (maybe two) clown fish for starters!
    Thanks guys!
    I'm excited to get the tank started!
    I know it will take a few weeks for the cycle to be ready but I still can't wait :)

19. allibobs

allibobs Well Known Member Member

I have done LOTS of research on biorbs ( i own 2 biorb life tanks and my hubby wants a marine conversion) and you cant add sand as all that happens is it gets sucked up the filter and shoots out the bubble tube!

20. allibobs

allibobs Well Known Member Member

Ohh just to add they look really cool with the marine conversion kit the bubble tube paty of the filter looks mega bubbly with the marine stuff in and i know places will drill the live rock so it fits over the bubble tube for you! I have seen 3 of these tanks set up with clowns in and shrimp they seems to do really well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice