Beginner to Cichlids. Calcium supplements o.O

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi guys,

Scored a new tank on the weekend. $200 AUD for a 150L tank, canister filter rated for 200L, gravel, a few small rocks, 3 anubis and a couple driftwoods.

Decided to use the tank for some placid(er) Lake Malawai cichlids. Going for just 4 rusty cichlids and 4 pseudotropheus saulosi or acei, depends on what's available.

I know the Rusty's may get too big, but that's just an excuse to upgrade in a few months hehe.

Have read on a few places about adding vitamin supplements. Have not been able to find a standard calcium one, but I was wondering if there is anyone knowledgeable that can tell me if this will be beneficial to these fish.

I'm personally griding some coral to increase hardness (it's actually illegal to import coral sand here since about 1month ago) but I was thinking these supplements might be good too.

Also, does the coral count towards calcium to help a snails shell??

The supplements contain...

Calcium Citrate
Calcium Phosphate
Calcium Amino Acid Chelate (???)
Magnesium Phosphate
Magnesium oxide-heavy
Zinc Amino Acid Chelate
Manganese Amino Acid Chelate
Vitamin C
Vitamin D3
Vitamin K1
Folic Acid

Now I admit... these are for dogs I believe. I'm tyring to be clever

If these are no good... would normal human calcium tablets be any good? Just plain calcium?

Cheers!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I really can't say if the supplements you've listed will help or not. I have seen mention of people using Calcium tablets to help snails to keep their shells strong and from becoming brittle. Personally I use egg shell to supplement calcium for my snails. Too, I feed the slices of zucchini, which is a good calcium supplement too. I've also seen members use a cuttle bone (used for birds to keep their beak trimmed) for additional calcium.

Here is a link on snails that you may find helpful. It lists some calcium supplements too:

Scroll down to Keeping Shells In Good Condition.

I can't say what benefits it will have for your fish though.

Ken

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah I was reading about increasing water hardness. Turns out my water is a bit too soft so I was looking up how to change it. Found somewhere mentioning two things which change water hardness are calcium and magnesium. So I figured the supplements might work.
Might research more when I'm not half asleep.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What's the KH of your water? Many of those vitamins & minerals are found in any good quality fish food & I doubt very much that you would need to supplement calcium for the benefit of your fish so long as your KH is over 5.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I believe my GH was 3 and KH 5. Or the other way around o_O

Whichever comes first on the API manual is the 3 one!

I do have some black water extract (I think thats what it's called, says it increases water hardness), but I'd rather something cheaper/easier than dosing chemicals.

Edit: We don't eat eggs in my house Atleast not usually. Thats why I'm looking for something different.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom