Beginner-thinking Of Adding A Nerite Snail To My 10 Gallon Betta Tank 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Mickey69, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Mickey69New MemberMember

Hi, I am thinking about adding a nerite snail to my 10 gallon betta tank. I would appreciate any info on keeping nerite snails, I am aware that they do like algae but my tank does not contain much of it :p I would like to know what I need to feed them and if there is anything I need to put in the water.:emoji_grin:

2. Pat93Valued MemberMember

Watch their shells to make sure they get enough calcium. You can google a recipe for snello if they need more or put a little piece of cuttlebone in the tank for the little guy to graze on, it’s also good for them to have protein mine eat the shrimp discs I feed my corydoras, my girlfriend has a male beta who peacefully lives with 3 snails but her female betas closed in like a pack of sharks on some we put in her other tank,(they are re homed now) so just keep an eye on them the first few days

nerite snails will lay eggs but they only hatch in brackish water some people don’t like the way they look in the tank though so that’s something to look out for as well

3. RohaNew MemberMember

I have two of these and they laid eggs everywhere... hundreds of them. It got so bad I had to take a bunch of things out of the aquarium and scratch the eggs off with my fingernails... the eggs are very hardy and difficult to get off. I found they turned gray and ugly looking after a while.

Ended up moving them over to a small schrimp tank.

4. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

As mentioned by @Pat93 and @Roha have Nerite snail prepare to be "Snaildazzled". (term used by another member for the eggs).

[​IMG]

Good Luck!

5. RohaNew MemberMember

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

thats worse then mine!

6. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I have had 5 Nerites now and have never seen a single egg. Four are currently living. The first one died after about 7 months and had survived the cycling of the tank. None of them have ever touched any kind of food I put in for them. They do really like brown algae but I can't speak to the green because I've never seen any. My Betta leaves all types of snails alone. To me, Nerites seem to survive mostly on the biofilm that coats everything in the tank and really don't need much of anything else. I have never even added any form of calcium but then my water is moderately hard with a pH of 7.6-7.8 so it appears I don't need it.

It has also been my observation that the Tigers are much more active than the Zebras. You could easily have 3 of them in a 10 gallon along with the Betta. You could even throw in a Mystery Snail.

7. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

mine laid those eggs, less then half as much though, i wonder why we have such different experiances? I mean, i wonder what triggers them or stops them from scattering the eggs?

8. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

I have snail eggs on the shell of another snail. Go figure. I am still unsure how I feel about the eggs. Nature I guess..,