Beginner Tank Questions Help

1. J

Jasoo New Member Member

Hey! I was looking into getting a some fish but I want to be really educated on the fish I'm interested in before I buy them.
    So I was interested in some bettas, Cory catfish, ghost shrimp, and some kind of snail.
    I was wondering if I can house a female betta with 2 Cory catfish, a few ghost shrimp and snails, if these all can be housed together what would be the minimum size tank gallon?
    also, what other animals would you recommend?

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

It's recommended that you keep corys in a minimum group of 6 :) also be sure that the type of cory you get is temperature compatible with the Betta, as bettas like it quite warm

3. S

Sina-key Valued Member Member

Hello and welcome to fishlore
    If you want a community tank with betta you must aim for 20 gallon+ specially if you want cory catfishes since they need minimum number of 6(they are schooling fish) and they are very active. But alone betta(boy or girl) can live peacefully in a 5 gallon with snails and shrimps but no other fishes so it is up to you. Also are you familiar with nitrogen cycle??

4. OP
    OP
    J

Jasoo New Member Member

Thank you! I was looking at some that share temperature preferences.

Ok thank you! I originally wanted a betta with snails and shrimp in a 10 gallon I might wait on some catfishes for another tank, and no I am not.

5. GreekGills

GreekGills Valued Member Member

While you research what species you'll choose, read up on the nitrogen cycle as well. When I first started out 4 months ago, I overlooked this section not knowing the importance of it. Once I did, I had a greater understanding and felt less frustrated:D

6. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Cycle, cycle, cycle! This is the single most important advice you'll get as a beginner!

7. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Welcome! There is a great section pinned at the top of this forum which has lots of beginner info.
    READ FIRST: Freshwater Beginner Important Topics
    READ FIRST: Freshwater Beginner Important Topics

Bettas are beautiful, interactive individuals. Some can live peacefully with other fish/snails/shrimp and some are pure killers once they hit sexual maturity. Just be aware when you consider putting other creatures in with a betta.