Beginner stocking 29 Gallon Tank

1. AquaMelody Initiate Member

Hi, I am a beginner with stocking questions. My profile info is up to date. Currently we have three male guppies, two male swordtails, one female platy, and five bloodfin tetras. Is this stocking OK? We are thinking about adding a dwarf gourami as the centerpiece. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

My gourami was fine with my mollies, you may want to get the most peaceful looking one, though.
    The tetras may nip at the guppies or gouramis fins.

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

I wouldn't add a Gourami, They prefer soft acidic water while most of your other fish prefer a higher pH and more alkaline water. Right now you have very peaceful fish in your community. Gouramis are less aggressive when kept single but they still are not the most peaceful fish. You could add one and try it out but think your community would be happier with out one. :)

Good Luck

4. AquaMelody Initiate Member

Thank you for your replies. So maybe Gouramis is not a good idea. I'm glad I didn't impulse buy one last week - I saw a really beautiful flame gouramis at the LFS. Any other bigger fish would fit? I'd like to have a centerpiece. Right now all the fishes are small to medium. Thank you!

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

German Blue Ram?

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

GBR require very soft, well maintained tank I wouldn't suggest one of those for the stock you have as they prefer much softer water than live bearers. Kribs are a little more adaptable but I think their better kept in pairs than kept alone. When you get into the bigger 'centerpeice' fish as some call em your going to get some aggression. So with that being said your going to want to look at the lesser aggressive fish, but ones that would be content being alone, and when you add those factors up along with the size of your tank, your back at Dwarf Gouramis. So like I said you could give it a try, but I would provide some plants on top for him to poke around and kind of keep his attention based up there. I've also seen like beta balls that are mirrors that you can float in the tank and they bob around. Could try that also to redirect them if their is aggression towards the other fish.

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Angelfish?
    Just throwing stuff out there for Crissandra331 to disect and analyze.
    :;dk

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

I think Angelfish would be too big for a 29 UNLESS it was a Tall tank then you could probably get away with one. But I've found Angels to be very social, cause they are shoaling fish. If i had to choose between a single Angel & a single Gourami I'd feel less guilty about the Gourami

Angels do best in tanks that are at least 20" High

9. Crissandra331 Member Member

Sorry just trying to being helpful :( Lips zipped.

10. mg13 Well Known Member Member

It's very good to be helpful!!!

:)

sharing knowledge make us all smarter.

11. AquaMelody Initiate Member

Why apologize Crissandra331? Really appreciate both of your inputs. I guess I will stay put for now until I get a good hang of fish keeping.

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If those species need higher pHs, maybe a Electric Yellow cichlid? These are one of the more peaceful mbunas.

13. Crissandra331 Member Member

Well most aquarium hobbyist are in for the long run! So if your like any of us I think you'll have years and years to look forward to new, bright, fun additions... You'll eventually experience it all and we'll all be here to hear about it and answer any questions along the way :)

I always aim to be informative without being discouraging, but ALWAYS mean well for both fish & human :)

14. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Did you see my post above yours?

15. mg13 Well Known Member Member

It's people like you who I like...

16. AquaMelody Initiate Member

Anders247 I looked it up. Cichlids need bigger tank, right?

17. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Um...... If you have more than one or if you have a larger species..... this one gets 4 inches.

18. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

For what it's worth, I have a DG in my 29 gal. DGs are very typically tank-bred (as opposed to wild-caught) and thus not as picky about their water conditions, though I wouldn't expect any to breed in my tank (if I had a female). My water is at a 7.9 pH, 9 drops GH. He's been going strong for well over a year (and he's a PetSmart gourami, so no guarantees as to his original quality...).

As people will often say, the most important characteristic of pH is stability (with some exceptions, like cichlids and wild-caught specimens). If your water were more like my parents' water (pH 8.8!) I would be more wary of putting non-African cichlids in there :p

I would add another tetra or two, by the way, just to get that school up to a real school size and maybe decrease some nipping.

19. AquaMelody Initiate Member

Glad to know that your Gourami is doing well. My water is at a 8 pH. Very hard water. What does 9 drops GH mean?

We got all five bloodfin tetras at Petco that day. We will go back to see whether they have more. Currently these five are well behaved. I do not notice any nipping. They do not always school though. But when they do, it's really fun to watch :)

20. celizabethh3 Member Member

I also have a dwarf gourami in my 36 gallon and my pH sits at a constant 8.2. I haven't had him for very long yet as my tank is newly cycled but he's definitely one of the least aggressive fish in the tank. He's kept with skirt tetras, danios and platys. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum