Beginner stocking help - 15 gallon

confusedman

Hello

we had our tank for only three weeks and we have managed to put tick all the boxes regarding the most common mistakes.
We were mislead by our LFS and it got very stressful and upsetting.

To make it short
54 litres tank (slightly less that 15 gallons) running for five days before we put 16 fish in (no cycling no added bacteria... nothing)
3 mollies, 1 swordtail, 1 angelfish, 3 guppies, 1 platy, 1 albino Corydora, 1 honey gourami, 2 electric blue ram, 3 cardinal tetra
After 3 days the 2 blue ram and 1 tetra died.
We took 1 molly, 1 angelfish, 2 guppies, 1 albino cory, 2 cardinal tetra to the shop

Since then we had 2 mollies, 1 swordtail 1 honey gourmi, 1 platy and 1 guppy

We have some Java Moss, 2 anubias barter and 3 anacharis and we are doing 50% water change every other day

We would like to get 4 corydoras (pygmy or panda) and another gourami + 1 nerite snail and a few shrimp

Do you think this could be right? Is it too much?
Better the pygmies or the panda corys?
Whats the hardiest shrimp?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 20210215_194443.jpg
    20210215_194443.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 21

LeafY4life77

Welcome, that was to much to start of with. IMO you should add nothing more to your current set up. Also you really have to cycle your tank in the future. It takes at least a month to cycle a tank.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Welcome to fishlore! You shouldn’t add anything to your tank until it’s cycled. Your tank will be much more manageable now that you took those fish back to the store you were very over stocked before and now you are fully stocked and no more fish should be added as a 15 gallon is small tank

Upvote 0

confusedman

We weren't planning to add any fish right now. We will wait a few weeks.
The tank has been running for three weeks now; the second day, when we realised the mistake of putting in 16 fish in one go, someone kindly gave us some cycled filter media and some extra plants that were added straight away
We bought a lab test kit but but we don't really know how to read the results. I don't know how will be know when its ready but we are trying to learn.

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

Welcome! Glad you are here. It’s unfortunate you were misled but you did the right thing by bringing the fish back. In my opinion
you are fully stocked with the live bearers and Gourami.

To ensure your tank is cycled, you should be testing for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites should test at 0, and nitrates should be present (ideally 40 or less ppm).

Upvote 0

confusedman

What about forgetting about the corydoras and just getting another gourami (our favourite) and a few shrimps?

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

What about forgetting about the corydoras and just getting another gourami (our favourite) and a few shrimps?
Good work returning some of the fish! I’m sorry you were misled, that’s very frustrating! I would not add anymore, youre more than fully stocked as is. I recommend at least returning the gourmi, they need to be kept in groups and fast boisterouse fish such as live bearers tend to stress them out. A 15 gallon is really to small for Corys and they need to be kept in groups of 6 at least which you don’t have room for. You Need to start testing the water a couple times a day if you post the results on here I’m sure someone can help you read them. It usually takes more than a few weeks to Cycle a tank. Really I would recommend returning the mollies and swordtails, they get big. Live bearers like to be in groups of their own species. I think you could do 5 guppies and 3 platies in total and no more fish. Also make sure the live bearers are all males. If you have males and females you’ll soon be overrun.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views