Beginner Stocking 55 gallon with African cichlids

1. Sire Initiate Member

Hey all, so...

Just got a 55 gal for a first tank and want to add African cichlids. I really want at least 12 and hoping to get some suggestions for colorful species ( red, yellow, orange, blue, etc) who are the least agressive. One other thing to add, the tank is 4 ft long and I made a custom 3D background that I will be installing. Any suggestions?

2. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

3. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

LeoDiaz knows a lot about African cichlids and can hopefully help. Best wishes & welcome to the forum!

4. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

3D background steal a lot swimming room, if you want a lot color I would do an all male peacock tank. 8males all different colors avoiding OB peacocks and jakes.

5. sparkles22 Member Member

Yay cichlids... I'm stocking a 110... and doing a hap/peacock mix.. and I just got 3 red Jakes lol ha ha

6. Sire Initiate Member

awesome! thnx everyone. I'm definitely looking into all f your suggestions as i type. I'd probably say that i've done a fair amount of research, but it's a bit exhausted going back and forth between 20+ computer tabs lol tomorrow i'm adding a base layer of white sand and also adding a top layer of the cichlid bio activ substrate. I'll add a pick of my set up. ones during the day, other at night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and @protim, i'll be out of town for a week and plan to start my cycle tomorrow. i was told the bioactiv substrate had bacteria that helps balance ph and cycling process. is that info correct?