Beginner Stocking 55 gallon with African cichlids

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Sire, Jun 12, 2016.

1. SireNew MemberMember

Hey all, so...

Just got a 55 gal for a first tank and want to add African cichlids. I really want at least 12 and hoping to get some suggestions for colorful species ( red, yellow, orange, blue, etc) who are the least agressive. One other thing to add, the tank is 4 ft long and I made a custom 3D background that I will be installing. Any suggestions?

2. Protim Sarkar

Protim SarkarWell Known MemberMember

3. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

LeoDiaz knows a lot about African cichlids and can hopefully help. Best wishes & welcome to the forum!

4. LeoDiaz

LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

3D background steal a lot swimming room, if you want a lot color I would do an all male peacock tank. 8males all different colors avoiding OB peacocks and jakes.

5. sparkles22

sparkles22Valued MemberMember

Yay cichlids... I'm stocking a 110... and doing a hap/peacock mix.. and I just got 3 red Jakes lol ha ha

6. OP
    OP
    S

SireNew MemberMember

awesome! thnx everyone. I'm definitely looking into all f your suggestions as i type. I'd probably say that i've done a fair amount of research, but it's a bit exhausted going back and forth between 20+ computer tabs lol tomorrow i'm adding a base layer of white sand and also adding a top layer of the cichlid bio activ substrate. I'll add a pick of my set up. ones during the day, other at night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and @protim, i'll be out of town for a week and plan to start my cycle tomorrow. i was told the bioactiv substrate had bacteria that helps balance ph and cycling process. is that info correct?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice