Beginner seeking any advice!

princessyanika

Reaction score
My husband and I have recently become very interested in becoming tropical marine hobbyist.  We are currently just doing research and learning as much as possible before we make any purchases.  We know that we want a tang and a clownfish at least with live rock.  I would like to know if a 75 gal tank is acceptable for them and if they would do well together in a tank?  I would also love any advice available.  Is it going to be extremely difficult for two people that have never had tropical fish before?  Are we getting in over our heads? lol  Thanks in advance and hope to join the ranks of happy tropical fish hobbyist soon!

Louie3

Reaction score
A 75 gallon tank is the minimun for tangs. Yes they would be able to live with each other. A good rule of thumb is 1-2lbs of Live rock mer Gallon of aquarium water.
Think about adding a sump,wet/dry or refugium. These types of filtration will be the best choices for your tank over any powerfilter.
Start your tank of right by using RO water from Avian, Windmill, or walmart. This will prevent unwanted minerals in your tank and less algea growth.
I'm olny telling you a little bit of onformation over starting a marine aquarium theres still much more to know.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Make sure you buy a refractometer and not a hydrometer. Refractometerrs are more accurate. You will be spending quite alot of money to. I think I spent over $400 so far in a month for my tank and its a 30 gallon. Make sure you let the tank cycle and make sure the live rock is fully cured before anything.

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Please read this ! https://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterAquariumSetup.htm.
Research everything before you buy. Learn from your mistakes, everyone makes them.

I recommend getting a sump that is 20%-30% total gallons of the main display. Make sure there's room for one in the tank cabinet ! (won't do like me, mine has a divider in it ... ). A sump gets all your equipment out of the main display tank, out of sight. Looks better and so much more !

I have a 60 gal. bow-front with tangs and one clown.

OK I have a total of four fish ... not much of a bio-load yet. As the tangs get bigger that will change. I do 10% water changes, test water parameters
( Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Alkalinity ), add top-off water (RO/DI freshwater) weekly.

Hope this helps.

princessyanika

Reaction score
Hi, thanks so much for all of your advice. We are still months before we start, I want to read so much more!

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Go to the reviews forum and check out book reviews. If you like any of the books posted you can go check them out at a library or purchase them.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
princessyanika, you're starting off great by researching as much as possible beforehand. You really are saving yourself loads of headaches and money by doing your research. Along with all the great advice you've received thus far, I'd add that you should set things up with upgrading in mind. It seems like once you've tasted success in this hobby, you just want more and more and more. Don't waste your money on inexpensive skimmers, get a good one from the start.

Once you have a good idea of the animals you would like to keep and what it takes to keep them (research), you'll have a good idea of the equipment needed such as lighting, water movement, tank size, etc.

Mike

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom