Beginner Seeking Advice on Stocking 38 Gallon Bow Front

RonnieRambo

Greetings. I am a newbie seeking advice on stocking a Marineland 38 Gallon Bow Front tank (tall rather than long) with a Pengiun 200 filter and aquarium sand substrate. I have an initial list that might be too heavy. I would really appreciate some feedback on the overall pairings and any alternative suggestions. Also, if the load is too much for my tank where should I trim? Thanks in advance!

Top:
8 Silver Hachets

Middle:
2 Angelfish
8 Cardinal Tetras or 8 Velvet Wag Swordtails or 8 Long Fin Red Minor Tetras

Bottom:
4-6 KuhlI Loach
1 Dwarf Gourami

superbutterfly12

If you're doing swordtails I think I would only stock one male and two or three females. They are livebearers so I'm sure you'll soon have tons but I would expect the parents and angelfish to eat enough fry to keep you from getting too wildly overstocked.

RonnieRambo

Good to know. Maybe I'll skip the swordtails in favor of the Tetras. Thanks for the tip!

Aichmalotizo

RonnieRambo said:
Greetings. I am a newbie seeking advice on stocking a Marineland 38 Gallon Bow Front tank (tall rather than long) with a Pengiun 200 filter and aquarium sand substrate. I have an initial list that might be too heavy. I would really appreciate some feedback on the overall pairings and any alternative suggestions. Also, if the load is too much for my tank where should I trim? Thanks in advance!

Top:
8 Silver Hachets

Middle:
2 Angelfish
8 Cardinal Tetras or 8 Velvet Wag Swordtails or 8 Long Fin Red Minor Tetras

Bottom:
4-6 KuhlI Loach
1 Dwarf Gourami
GouramI is definitely not a bottom dweller. It's an anabantoid and very similar to the Betta. It'll spend most of the time up top. Would probably be better to go with red minor over cardinal, Cardinals are pretty close to natural angel prey. It works sometimes, sometimes you make a Cardinal graveyaex.
I think a single angel would be better than a pair here... Anders247 is stocking king. He can tell you xD

el337

The DG is more of a top/mid dweller as are the angels so you would definitely be too crowded at the top. I would then bump up the loaches to at least 8.

RonnieRambo

I'm not sure where I got the bad info on the Gourami. If he's up top then maybe I'll just cut him. I thought the 2 angelfish might be too much, so thanks for the feedback there. And el337, I'll definitely consider more loaches.

Alright, so new tentative list.

top:
8 hatchets

middle:
1 angelfish
8 long fin red minor tetras

bottom:
8 kuhlI loaches

Progress! Thanks kind fish folk. Is there anything I could add to this that would be fun or is this a pretty good load?

Anders247

Welcome to fishlore!
What are the dimensions?

RonnieRambo

HI Anders247! I hear you are the king of the stocking realm. Dimensions are 17.125" Deep; 32.25" Wide; 25.719 " High and it is a bow front. I started out looking at a little 10 gallon for my daughter but then I found this one on Craigslist and here we are. Thanks for your input. I know you get a lot of these requests so I appreciate your time.

Anders247

Imo that stocking would be fine, you could also add something like a peacock gudgeon for the bottom imo.

RonnieRambo

Awesome! Thanks again for the input. The gudgeon looks pretty cool. How many would you recommend?

Anders247

1 or 2 would be fine.

Megg01

RonnieRambo said:
I'm not sure where I got the bad info on the Gourami. If he's up top then maybe I'll just cut him. I thought the 2 angelfish might be too much, so thanks for the feedback there. And el337, I'll definitely consider more loaches.

Alright, so new tentative list.

top:
8 hatchets

middle:
1 angelfish
8 long fin red minor tetras

bottom:
8 kuhlI loaches

Progress! Thanks kind fish folk. Is there anything I could add to this that would be fun or is this a pretty good load?
If the red minors are what I'm thinking of, I wouldn't recommend them with an angel. I wanted to add an angel to my 36 gallon with red minors (serpae tetras) but I was told the tetras would nip too bad.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom