Beginner Reef Tank Setup

Mike Brown
Good afternoon everyone. I am rebuilding my 10 gallon fresh water tank but I have seen several people with reef tanks. I was curious what the is smallest size one could use for it? I was thinking of another 10 gallon tank. Would that be okay? I am looking to have it on my second floor in my living room away, from direct sunlight.

What would you guys recommend? I would like it to be a focal point in the living room. If I put any fish in it, it would not be until later.

Esimm03
Good afternoon everyone. I am rebuilding my 10 gallon fresh water tank but I have seen several people with reef tanks. I was curious what the is smallest size one could use for it? I was thinking of another 10 gallon tank. Would that be okay? I am looking to have it on my second floor in my living room away, from direct sunlight.

What would you guys recommend? I would like it to be a focal point in the living room. If I put any fish in it, it would not be until later.
Hi,
Id get the biggest tank that your space and budget allows for. I personally have a 15 litre bit it's a coral only setup. What were you wanting to put in it fish and coral wise or is it going to be a FOWLR setup?

You call look in your LFS too to see if they have any all in one tanks cheaply as those are good for begginers .

Ethan

Mike Brown
Hi,
Id get the biggest tank that your space and budget allows for. I personally have a 15 litre bit it's a coral only setup. What were you wanting to put in it fish and coral wise or is it going to be a FOWLR setup?

You call look in your LFS too to see if they have any all in one tanks cheaply as those are good for begginers
emoji3.png.

Ethan

Ethan

Thanks for the reply sir. I was looking to do a reef only or possibly a FOWLR. Right now the one local pet store has $1/gallon tanks so I was thinking maybe a 20 gallon tank for now.

thesoulpatch
The bigger you can do the better, as smaller tanks have major fluctuations and can be a huge pita! The draw back to getting a normal fish tank instead of an all in one (AIO) is the fact that everything you get will have to be a HOB style. Which isn't terrible but annoying to several people in the hobby. As everything will be in the display compared to being hidden. You can find several AIO type of tanks online second hand just make sure they are cleaned well! But also I understand budget constraints factor in as well. Just make sure you get what you can handle and there's no reason to go crazy with the spending of things. If you do plan on getting coral make sure you get a light that will be able to handle them. If you are just doing fish any normal light will work. if you check facebook, offerup, letgo, craigslist, or any other sale site there are a ton of tanks for cheap. I got mine for $350 for a 40 gal tank plus everything else the guy had. The tank alone is worth $400 brand new, but I got like 60 lbs of rock, fish, coral and a AI Prime HD for that price. It's worth it to look then just clean it like no other with vinegar or bleach depending on how nasty bad everything.

But please do ask if you find anything and would love help or questions, our salty community is pretty awesome!

Esimm03
The bigger you can do the better, as smaller tanks have major fluctuations and can be a huge pita! The draw back to getting a normal fish tank instead of an all in one (AIO) is the fact that everything you get will have to be a HOB style. Which isn't terrible but annoying to several people in the hobby. As everything will be in the display compared to being hidden. You can find several AIO type of tanks online second hand just make sure they are cleaned well! But also I understand budget constraints factor in as well. Just make sure you get what you can handle and there's no reason to go crazy with the spending of things. If you do plan on getting coral make sure you get a light that will be able to handle them. If you are just doing fish any normal light will work. if you check facebook, offerup, letgo, craigslist, or any other sale site there are a ton of tanks for cheap. I got mine for $350 for a 40 gal tank plus everything else the guy had. The tank alone is worth $400 brand new, but I got like 60 lbs of rock, fish, coral and a AI Prime HD for that price. It's worth it to look then just clean it like no other with vinegar or bleach depending on how nasty bad everything.

But please do ask if you find anything and would love help or questions, our salty community is pretty awesome!
I agree with thesoulpatch !
This forum is amazing, I'd not ahve started reefkeeping if it wasn't for this forum.

I haven't found any major fluctuations with my peramiters and the Pico has been ok for about 9-10 months now. A smaller tank is doable but you need to closely monitor the peramiters, salinity and keep up with water changes

A 20G would be ok for a clown pair and possible something else along with a clean up crew.

If you do have coral you need a good light, your LFS may have something or you can shop around, I'm not sure on brands but someone else may be able to suggest some .

If you want coral id start with soft corals like zoas or gsp (keep it isolated)
And for lps id recommend acans or candy canes.
Tube worms are also cool (not coral), but that if for them the tank is mature.

Ethan
Ethan

Thanks for the reply sir. I was looking to do a reef only or possibly a FOWLR. Right now the one local pet store has $1/gallon tanks so I was thinking maybe a 20 gallon tank for now.

Jesterrace
If you are dead set on the dollar per gallon sales, then a 20 Long is the tank to go for. It will give you great dimensions for a smaller tank. You could do a pair of Occ or Percula variant clowns and one or 2 other fish (ie Firefish, Possum Wrasse, Blenny, Goby, Pajama Cardinal, Orchid Dottyback).

Esimm03
Check out the goby shrimp pairs they are cool, I had a goby whos shrimp had died. But he jumped☹️. I'd also recommend a lid on your tank

Mike Brown
If you are dead set on the dollar per gallon sales, then a 20 Long is the tank to go for. It will give you great dimensions for a smaller tank. You could do a pair of Occ or Percula variant clowns and one or 2 other fish (ie Firefish, Possum Wrasse, Blenny, Goby, Pajama Cardinal, Orchid Dottyback).

Are you saying that the $ per gallon is a bad deal?

Can you just have a tank with coral and no fish?

I am looking at doing another larger salt water tank with fish after I get some time under my belt.

Jesterrace
No, the dollar per gallon sale is actually recommended, it's just that they now limit the dollar per gallon to 20 gallons or less and as such the 20 long is the best bargain of that bunch. You could just have a tank with coral, but it would actually be more expensive and harder to do with a smaller tank. Coral is the more expensive/demanding side of the marine hobby (due to water perameters needing to be more stable, requiring more expensive lighting and the fact that the corals themselves are expensive. You can quickly find yourself spending $100 with only 3-4 little frags of relatively inexpensive coral.

Esimm03
No, the dollar per gallon sale is actually recommended, it's just that they now limit the dollar per gallon to 20 gallons or less and as such the 20 long is the best bargain of that bunch. You could just have a tank with coral, but it would actually be more expensive and harder to do with a smaller tank. Coral is the more expensive/demanding side of the marine hobby (due to water perameters needing to be more stable, requiring more expensive lighting and the fact that the corals themselves are expensive. You can quickly find yourself spending $100 with only 3-4 little frags of relatively inexpensive coral.
I agree, with a good clean up crew, good lights and regular maintenance you should be ok, which coral do you have in mind?

Ethan

Mike Brown
I agree, with a good clean up crew, good lights and regular maintenance you should be ok, which coral do you have in mind?

Ethan

I just started thinking about it so no idea right now. Any suggestions?

thesoulpatch
euphyllia are always wonderful! Torches, hammers, frog spawn. There's a ton out there, zoas and mushrooms are easy to keep. The SPS are the harder ones so I would stay away until you get comfy in the hobby. any softies, or lps would be a good starter out there.

Also Nart made a newbie guide and it will answer like 90% of your questions...

Nart's Budget Nano Saltwater Guide For Beginners

Mike Brown
I will put something together and post it here and see what you guys think

Esimm03
I will put something together and post it here and see what you guys think
Cool, were all here to help.

Ethan

Jesterrace
euphyllia are always wonderful! Torches, hammers, frog spawn. There's a ton out there, zoas and mushrooms are easy to keep. The SPS are the harder ones so I would stay away until you get comfy in the hobby. any softies, or lps would be a good starter out there.

Also Nart made a newbie guide and it will answer like 90% of your questions...

Nart's Budget Nano Saltwater Guide For Beginners

I'm a Euphyllia guy as well (ie Frogspawn, Hammer). I would say that Frogspawn has been by far the most successful coral I have owned. 2 small feedings of frozen reef frenzy per day, a full spectrum LED and regular water changes keep it growing like a weed.

Esimm03
I'm a Euphyllia guy as well (ie Frogspawn, Hammer). I would say that Frogspawn has been by far the most successful coral I have owned. 2 small feedings of frozen reef frenzy per day, a full spectrum LED and regular water changes keep it growing like a weed.
I've never had experience with frogspawn, I personally have branching hammerheads which are amazing

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Reeferxbetta
Replies
Views
jsvand5
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views