Beginner questions

SuperSword48

I have a relatively new fish tank and I had a few odd questions. I have a 20 gallon long with a 50 aqua clear filter. I have 10 harlequin rasboras, 10 Pygmy cories, and 2 thick lip honey gourami. My first question involves water flow, because I have an oversized filter and very small corydora catfish I’m wondering if setting it low would be a good idea and if I need to worry about too little flow? My second question involves lighting. I’m having an algae issue so I lowered my lights to 6 hours and have a rest period in between. I have to do this manually and I’m wondering if the fish are bothered by the weird lighting times or if they even care. My third question is relatively broad and I wanted to know some good fish foods. I currently use Hikaru sinking shrimp pellets, omega one freshwater flakes and frozen bloodworms as a treat. Thank you for all the help.

Nickguy5467

buy yourself a timer, set it up, and plug your light into it. makes it easy. as far as fish bothered by times. i dont think so?. my fish are fine. ive adjusted my time frames many times before i landed on 10am-4pm. i might even reduce that .who knows. flow all i know is that you can have too much. i mean there are fish in bowls . so i couldnt imagiine having low flow would be an issue in freshwater tanks. reef tanks however do need flow as ive read.

Upvote 0

SuperSword48

buy yourself a timer, set it up, and plug your light into it. makes it easy. as far as fish bothered by times. i dont think so?. my fish are fine. ive adjusted my time frames many times before i landed on 10am-4pm. i might even reduce that .who knows. flow all i know is that you can have too much. i mean there are fish in bowls . so i couldnt imagiine having low flow would be an issue in freshwater tanks. reef tanks however do need flow as ive read.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

HupGuppHup

I doubt the fish care so long as you have regular daylight in the room. As far as I'm concerned lights are mainly for display unless you have plants with higher light needs.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Omega one flake is pretty good, blood worms are great.
Hikari freeze-dried foods are fine but their foods are generally not so good. I read the ingredients of hikari shrimp cousine, the first five ingrediants matter the most.
Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ, Pea Protein, Wheat Gluten, Kelp,
This isnt terrible, but 3 kinds of weat is just a fancy way to fool you into thinking that they didnt pack this food with fillers.

So, that food is OK, but could be better. Try new life spectra, and bug bites next time.
Omega one flake is pretty good, blood worms are great.
Hikari freeze-dried foods are fine but their foods are generally not so good. I read the ingredients of hikari shrimp cousine, the first five ingrediants matter the most.
Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ, Pea Protein, Wheat Gluten, Kelp,
This isnt terrible, but 3 kinds of weat is just a fancy way to fool you into thinking that they didnt pack this food with fillers.

So, that food is OK, but could be better. And I am offended by their clever ruse to fool me.
Try new life spectra, and bug bites next time.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Jordanlp
  • Question
Replies
Views
shattles10
Replies
Views