Beginner Questions

ScottPHX

Reaction score
I read up on the whole cycle thing, and I think I understand it pretty well, but I do have one question....where does the good bacteria come from???  Does it just appear??  Are there products out there to "jump start" the process?  I don't have a tank yet, I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I get started    Thanks for the help y'all.
Scott

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is bacteria eveywhere and in the aquarium environment you have to feed the good bacteria to make it grow enough to take care of the ammonia and other chemicals your fish produce. Thats where the ammonia in the fishless cycling project comes into play.
There are several products available that are suppose to boost your good bacteria production but BioSpira is the only one that I know of that works. With BioSpira you can add your fish load right away.
Good for you for doing your research first, so many of us didn't and our fish paid for our impatience
Welcome to FishLore.
Carol

ScottPHX

Reaction score
Thanks Carol, you'll be seeing more questions from me I'm sure ;D

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also there is a product called Cycle that the people at the petstore I go to regularly said to help produce good bacteria. On the front it says:
reduces fish loss, helps keep aquariums healthy, rapidly matures new aquariums, and for either fresh or salt water tanks. Its a product by NUTRAFIN.

The side says:
Cycle releases massive amounts of beneficial bacteria into the aquarium. Each dose works to reduce dangerous ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquariums. This helps prevent fish loss.

Cycle is an all-natural product that will not harm plants, animals or humans. It is impossible to overdose.

Cycle is super-concentrated. It will initially appear cloudy and may emit a slight odor.
And then after that it tells you how to use it.

ScottPHX

Reaction score
Thanks Tom!! Have you ever used it?
Scott

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your Welcome. Ya I use it every week. It seems to help out with the nitrogen cycle. It also allows me to do less water changes do to the low nitrites, ammonia, and nitrates (I still do water changes every month though).It can be quite pricey though. The bottle that I get which has 473 ml which is about $26 CDN. It lasts for 94 doses. It also has smaller bottles but they don't last as long.
Tom

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to burst your bubble but Cycle is an entirely different strain of bacteria and is unstable. They keep you using it because if you stop, it can throw you into a mini cycle until the regular bacteria settles in. It is, in my opinion, useless and I believe that most really experienced tank keepers will tell you the same. The cycle you want is the one that happens either by following the normal methods of establishing one or using Bio-spira (the ONLY starter that truly produces a quick cycle).

Rose

ScottPHX

Reaction score
Thanks again!! I think I'll just do it the old fashioned way.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom