15 Gallon Tank Beginner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dllannin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My friend has a really nice aquuarium. It is rather small at 15 gallons but she has a great pump and its well decorated. She only had one goldfish for 2 years and it is getting crusty stuff over its eyes and it starting to bump into stuff and her birthday is next month so I thought to myself "I'll buy her a couple fish" but NOTHING can live with her goldfish according to my research so I decided I will just wait and see how her fish does and if it dies =[ then I will buy her a different kind of fish. I don't think her current aquarium has a heater but I could get one if needed and yes I am researching the nitrogen cycling stuff because it seems to be posted everywhere on here but what kind of fish could live together and how many smaller fish could a 15 gallon support? I'd like at least 2 fish max of maybe 5 which seems kinda high and of differing varieties if possible. If not I will just default to goldfish.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll leave the fish suggestions to the others but a 15g is too small for a goldfish. The guideline is 20g for the first and then 10g for each additional. They are huge mess makers and can grow enormous.

-Lisa

OP
D

dllannin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well her fish seems very happy and she has a ridiculous pump. The tank is always very clean and it hasn't grown at all in the year that I have known her. But yes, the overall idea is to get away from goldfish.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well her fish seems very happy and she has a ridiculous pump. The tank is always very clean and it hasn't grown at all in the year that I have known her. But yes, the overall idea is to get away from goldfish.
welcome to fishlore!!
Im afraid hes not too happy if its bumping into things and has stuff crusted on him even with a larger pump, the tank is clean im sure, but theres not enough room ...as well, clean tanks dont always mean good water quality....maybe buy her a 20g tank for her goldie instead of more fish?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!
Im afraid hes not too happy if its bumping into things and has stuff crusted on him even with a larger pump, the tank is clean im sure, but theres not enough room ...as well, clean tanks dont always mean good water quality....maybe buy her a 20g tank for her goldie instead of more fish?
that's a great idea right there. Plus if she has an awesome filter it'll probably work well on a tank upgrade Hopefully the goldie's growth isn't stunted.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Honestly I wouldn't just show up at a friend's door with fish in tow. I've had it done to me... and saddly I can't say 'no' to animals so I let them in... and then curse my friend for dumping more on me without asking. So I am generally not overly appreciative of this method of aquiring pets. I like choosing them myself

If she is interested then maybe a 'joint' shopping spree. Though I second the 'buy a bigger tank' option... then you can also go shopping for some new friends for the 15 as well

...ahh mts! ;D

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh no! MTS!

I do agree that goldies don't belong in a 15g. But hey, it doesn't have any tank mates, or worse the widely advertised 1 gallon goldie tank!

The goldie doesn't sound ok with that crusty stuff on it. Fungus perhaps? They are very hardy fish, but that will be stressing it, and when its stressed and bumping into stuff, it will develop ich.

Sorry, I don't have a solution!

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Actually, allow me to clarify the goldfish tank thing a little more:

Comets and feeder goldfish...

Need big tanks. A 20 gallon is definitely insufficient, as one comet can hit up to a foot long. I'm sure Gremlin's goldies can prove that. For one comet goldfish, I would suggest a 35 gallon, or even a 40 gallon for the first fish, then +15 gallons for every next comet goldfish. They grow big.

Fancy goldfish...

Aren't that large, maxing out at 9 inches or so. However, this doesn't mean they could be in tiny tanks. For fancies, the 20 gallon rule can apply. However, as for all goldfish, make sure to have a filter that has a higher rating than what's normally recommended for the tank, as they, like other goldfish, are huge waste producers.

Koi...

Do not belong in aquariums. They don't belong in th average pond, either. If you insist on getting them, I would assume that the stocking would be 1000 gallons for the first koi, 400 gallons for each additional one. As you can see, they really belong in only the largest ponds, due to the fact that they could easily get to 3 feet long or more in length.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom