Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Beginner Question Led Lighting For Live Plants

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nierums, Mar 21, 2019.

1. NierumsValued MemberMember

I want to start growing plants in my new freshwater aquarium (I am new to this) and I bought everything I need from someone online, and the tank came with a hood and 2 tubes of LEDs attach to the top. It's quite bright, so I'm wondering -

Will these LEDs grow plants, or are there different lights that grow them. Please don't get me wrong, I totally understand that there are better lights for growing plants, but I am not sure if the ones that came with the tank will work. (my guess is that everything is most likely from a topfin 20g kit, but there is no brand on the lights so I cannot be 100% sure). As previously stated, they are pretty bright, my tank is well lit. I don't have the money to spend on super fancy lights, so I don't want to waste my money on plants if they are all going to die. Thanks for any advise you can throw my way!

2. Igor95Well Known MemberMember

3. NierumsValued MemberMember

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to respond! I might be mistaken, but I believe they are LEDs, each tube has 15 squares in them. Please corret me if I am wrong, see photo below.

Attached Files:

4. Igor95Well Known MemberMember

Ok, those are definitely leds. I didn't know they sold kit hoods with leds. Sorry.

5. NierumsValued MemberMember

Oh no worries! It may not have been with a kit, that was guess. Thanks for responding!

6. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@Nierums , welcome to the forum

I would wager that is the 20g Top Fin kit from Petsmart.

I have the same tank. It was our first tank getting into the hobby.

The 2 strips are actually reasonably bright for a stock hood included in a combo set.

Although I haven't started to grow live plants in my 20g, I have started to grow them in my 75g. It does not have fancy high output lights either.

I recommend checking out the "Plants" section of the forum and look at the stickied threads at the top in yellow.

Lot of good info there.

I started off with basic Anubias plants. They are hardy and do not require high output lighting.

For now, I am using Seachem's liquid fertilizer "Flourish" and will prob get some root tabs at some point.

In my opinion l, you should look into Anubias plants for your tank and a quality fertilizer, either liquid or tabs.

Seachem makes good fertilizers.

Also check out Aquarium Co-Op online. They have a good house brnad of ferts also. Usually there is a 10% or 15% off coupon code for Cory's sight floating around on YouTube.

Next time I need fertilizer, will prob try Cory's.

Also, here is a LINK to a thread in the forum to boost your filter's mechanical and biological filtration by using inexpensive and effective ways on adding DIY media.

7. NierumsValued MemberMember

This is really helpful! I will go that route. I really appreciate all the information.. I found aquarium coop on YouTube and have frequented the website, he has a lot of good information, and plan to get his fert.
    Thanks for taking the time!