Beginner Plants

1. soccermatt Member Member

hi
    i originally set up my tank with fake plants, and didn't plan for live ones. I am now starting to think that i would really like live plants however i don't have the proper plant substrate. I only have regular sized to fairly fine gravel, good florescent lighting, temperature at 25, and a 12.5 gallon 10 inch tall aquarium. Would there be any nice beginner plants that would do well in my tank.
    Thanks

2. Robin4 Member Member

Hi soccermatt,

I have live plants and love them! It's awesome to watch them grow.... I've gotten some of them here http://www.aquariumplants.com/ They give great info on the plants and even have a section for "beginner plants". If you don't purchase from this site, you will definitely get good information! Good luck and post pictures!! :)

Robin

3. Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

You dont need a special substrate or large amounts of light to enjoy live plants. Try Java fern, java moss, anubias, crypts to name a few. There are many plants that will work for you!
    Best Wishes,
    Nate

4. phil saint Member Member

java moss good it just needs to be fix onto some bog wood or stone, also canadian pond weed is really easy to grow, i put some in my tank (my gravel is the same as yours) and as quick as 3-4 days later i could see new roots coming out of the stems, its high oxegenating and dosent require great amounts of light.

Phil.

5. soccermatt Member Member

so i ended up going to my LFS, and the guy convinced me into getting 1 java fern, 1 cryptocoryne balansae, and 2 sagittaria subulata. I found the sagittaria hard to plant, but in the end managed. I am just worried that when i go to vacuum the bottom and it loosens up the soil a bit the plant will float back up. I was wondering how i should care for these plants.
    thanks

6. soccermatt Member Member

should i add those fertilizer pellets?

7. click Well Known Member Member

Sure, go ahead and add the fertilizer pellets. You should not vacuum the gravel around the plant since it will disturb the roots. The waste that dropps around the plant is beneficial for the plants since it serves as food. But if you're worried there's too much waste, you could use a stick to gently agitate the water around the plant and make the waste lift, then take it out with your vacuum, but make sure you will not disturb the plant. A few tries and you become an expert. :;th