beginner plants

1. gouramiguy88 Member Member

Hi.

Im going to start a 54 gallon planted tank.

But i dont have any exprience with live plants. Im looking to use fertilizer but not c02, and moderate amounts of lightening.

What are good plants for a starter?

I like the plants DWARF HAIR GRASS, because it makes a good carpet =)

thanks all

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Marimo balls take some effort to kill and they're a cool, unusual addition to any tank.

That ends the extent of my plant knowledge. :p

3. DRock914 Member Member

I have had success with banana plants, anubias, and wisteria. My plants are in gravel only and I do not give them any plant food. I leave the light on for 10-12 hours a day and they are thriving. My wisteria and banana plants grow extremely fast.

4. click Well Known Member Member

Dwarf hairgrass is a plant that requires med to high light. Since you plan to add medium lightning, that plant might not do well in your tank (depends how deep the tank is and how much light gets to the bottom).
    You can go with amazon sword, crypt, java fern....or even better, you can go here and look at the plants and chose what you like best.:;th

5. gouramiguy88 Member Member

Do you know of any other plants i can use to cover the substrate?

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Gouramiguy. I really love my Anubias and Java Moss. I don't have to do anything special for them and they are thriving. Generic lighting, low light. I also have Japanese Marimo Balls and Moss Balls. All doing well. (photos in my profile 26g tanks)

Ken

7. gouramiguy88 Member Member

what about a plant that will cover the substrate?

8. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

9. eiginh Well Known Member Member

LOL, I thought you guys were related somehow but nvm. :;hp

wendi crypt is also a good plant. I can't tell you a good carpeting plant without knowing your wpgs (watts per gallon). To determine your wpg, divide your watts by the gallon of your tank. For example, 36 watts on a 10 gallon would be 36/10=3.6wpg. Here's a list of some foreground plants that you may like. http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=5&filter_by=2

10. gouramiguy88 Member Member

I dont know the Watts per gallon yet, because i dont have the tank yet. but i will on wensday.

And i will let you know.

Anyone have another link to Plantgeek.com

cant seem to get to the website...

thanks

gouramiguy isnt a very creative name anymore i guesss:-X

11. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

i have had my amazon swords and java ferns for a while. they might be a good addition.

12. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

13. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

In my low light tank I have java fern, amazon sword, anubias. I had hornwort but I recently took it out. It grew very fast which was ok but it shed it's "needles/leaves" and would make a mess every time I tried to trim it move it. I could trim it down and it would grow several inches in a week. Its like a weed.

14. Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

I am going to throw out another thought regarding lighting. i am not sure what you call moderate lighting but the more light you have the greater the need for co2 and nutrients. As light increases both have to increase as well. you may experiencxe good plant growth but if you limit Co2 with moderate light it wont be a matter of if you get algae but when. Of course this can always be added later...just something to think about when choosing light.
    Regarding carpet plants...most do require high light levels.
    I am looking forward to seeing this put together!
    Nate-

15. Regal Well Known Member Member

All true Nate! Good points!

Java moss would be fine in a low light tank. You could use it for a carpet if you put a layer of moss on a rock or wood then cover it with net or wrap it with fishing line. The moss will grow through the net and create a "carpet"

16. gouramiguy88 Member Member

thanks for everyones information. i appreciate it much

17. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

You can use Java Moss as a carpeting plant. Just use some of those fake plant mats where you want the moss to grow then tangle the moss all through the fake carpet plants. The moss will grow over all the fake stuff eventually so that you wouldn't even know they were there.

18. cryptfan Initiate Member

For your situation, the Java Moss or a close relative like Christmas Moss are good choices. theydo tend to catch debris, though, and can end up looking like a carpet that has not been vacuumed in months.

19. Neji Member Member

Water sprites, along with Amazon swords (if you have good lights), Anubias, Anacharis (maybe), Banana plants, Dwarf Hair grass, Cabomba, and Bronze Went :)