Beginner Plants? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by HaileStorm, Jun 21, 2018.

1. HaileStorm

HaileStorm Valued Member Member

Hi everyone!

I'm heading over to my lfs today and I'm interested in planting my established 23g since I want my tank to look more natural and I'm having algae problems as well anyway.

I dont have a co2 system so I can only depend on my light to do the work. My light is a full spectrum model set to turn on at 6pm-12mn, I forgot the brand though but if I remember correctly it's rated at 22w.

I do have substrate that got mixed with aquarium sand over time (corydora's fault) so I'd rather plants that dont need substrate. Here is a list of plants I am interested in:

1. Java Moss (same as mos ball or not?)
    2. Java Fern
    3. Vallisneria
    4. Anubias

Will these grow in my current setup?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Java moss, java fern, and anubias can all be attached to rocks or driftwood.

You could also do floating plants. I like red root floaters.

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Java moss is aquatic moss and looks stringy, moss balls are a cladophora algae in round shapes. Both are very easy.

4. OP
    OP
    HaileStorm

Is java moss compatible with those plastic spheres sold online?

These dont require co2, right?

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure what you mean by plastic spheres, do you have a link?
    No CO2 required :)

6. OP
    OP
    HaileStorm

I wasnt able to get java moss at my lfs,they didnt have any in stock. I was able to purchase some golden anubias and moss tied to a metal mesh square though.

Thanks for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice