Beginner Plants That Can Go In Gravel

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

So as the title says i need plants for my 10 gallon that can be planted in the gravel. Aready know java fern cannot be planted in gravel. I honestly do not know what my LFS has so don't put down any uncommon plants. With all that said i will let you fellow hobbyist do the rest.

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

You can tie Java fern to a rock or a piece of driftwood! That's what I do!! I also have Amazon swords planted in gravel they are doing great!!

3. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

I tied some moss and Anubias nana to some wood in my tank. I heard sometimes you can plant anubias in the gravel.

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Floating plants?

Duckweed should do well.

5. CanadianFishFan

Oh yeah! If your ready to take out duckweed weekly.... :/ Also some water lettuce

6. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Not really interestes in floating plants i am interested in something easy for beginner plant owners that can be planted in gravel.

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Most column feeders would work. A lot of stem plants feed from the column. They would do fine provided with some nutrients.

8. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Not interested in floating plants right now but maybe in the future. I am interested in beginner plants that can be planted in gravel.

Any specific names?

9. CanadianFishFan

Lol no point in repeating it but ok. Anubis you can try in the gravel (if its deep enough). What about guppy grass?

10. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Not really what i am looking for. I think i might try amazon swords. Know anything similar to it?

I am curious to know what this plant might be that i just found. It kind of looks like long grass.

11. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Jungle Valisineria, those looks like large grass plants, they are extremely easy to grow.

12. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Can they grow in gravel? Also how tall do they get. Because i might get it for my 10 gallon.

13. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I am pretty sure they can, I have mine in sand.
    They can get up to six feet, but trimming will keep them down.

14. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Ok so i am still open to more beginner plants that don't require much care and can be planted in gravel.

Ok thanks.

15. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Consider crypts. Very tolerant IMO.

16. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Actually just got a crypt today lol. How do i propogate them without decreasing there size. Like if i propogate them will they be small forever?

17. aussieJJDude

They will send out runners, no need to propagate them manually.

18. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

When will this happen?

19. aussieJJDude

Once estsblished in the tank. Depends on the plant. In most cases, a couple of weeks.

20. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

I love ozelot swords, amazon swords, dwarf sagittaria, and anarchis. I provide each with a decent amount of lighting (25 watts) and replace their root tablets once a month.