Beginner planted aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Dylfish2000, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Dylfish2000Valued MemberMember

So out of curiosity and their beauty, I was wondering if I could have any live plants in my tank, however I don't have any special substrate lighting or co2 devices. Would any plants be able to survive in this setting, or would I need special lighting? I just have normal aquarium sand as the substrate

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

What kind of light do you have? Particularly the color temperature if its on the bulb, also what wattage, and what tank size? There are alot of easy low light plants.

3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

4. Dylfish2000Valued MemberMember

The tank is 15 gallons and it's only a 8 watt bulb, is that too little light?

5. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

It's at the very low end of low light in my opinion, not sure how well things would grow. You might be able to get away with the ones junebug mentioned. If you were able to get something a bit higher wattage with stronger output, it would open up your options some.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Dylfish2000Valued MemberMember

Thanks I was just curious since I live the look of live plants

7. Dylfish2000Valued MemberMember

How much wattage would I need for a 15 gallon tank?

8. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Is it the tall tank in your profile picture?

9. Dylfish2000Valued MemberMember

Yes

10. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Id go with the highest watt bulb you can safely put in your fixture. Youll need the extra output to get the light to penetrate to the deeper than normal dimensions of the tank. Youll want to aim for something in the 6500k color temperature range.

11. Dylfish2000Valued MemberMember

Sounds good thank you

12. junebugFishlore LegendMember

If that's a 15 gallon aqueon tower, I can tell you from experience, you're going to need it to get at least a few hours of actual daylight every day if you want live plants other than the ones I listed. I have the same tank. I plan to use it for reptiles now, it does not work well for fish.

13. Dylfish2000Valued MemberMember

The room tat it is in is very small with three windows, so I there is a lot of natural sunlight that enters the room. Right now my Beta is living in there, but I do agree with you, the weird dimensions don't make it such a great tank for schooling fish, which would normally fit in a tank of that size.

14. Dylfish2000Valued MemberMember

Quick question my bulb has 120 volts is that enough for low light plants? I assume it's not

15. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

16. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

120v just means it runs on a standard plug, youll want to look at wattage and color temperature.

17. junebugFishlore LegendMember

You actually want to look at PAR rating and spectrum. The Kelvin rating (heat temp, not color temp) is also important. You want that in the 6500k area.

WPG is an extremely inaccurate way to measure the light reaching plants in a tank.

For the record, if you have a betta in there, you'll want to get a tall piece of driftwood and plant some stuff at the top of it, close to the surface, so he can rest there if need be. Bettas are not a good match for tall tanks.

18. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Won't the PAR value vary though depending on the depth of the tank? That's why I suggested a higher wattage, for brighter output to reach the deep dimensions of the tank, which would this give a better PAR value.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

19. junebugFishlore LegendMember

As far as I know, wattage doesn't have a direct translation to PAR value. I asked a user here if he knew the conversion formula, but I haven't seen a response yet.

It really doesn't matter, anyway. Any bulb that fits in the fixture for this tank (again I have the same tank) is not going to provide enough light for plants at the substrate level. But plants attached higher up might do okay.

20. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

You could also try anacharis. Before I upgraded to the finnex planted plus my anacharis was growing well. It grows like crazy now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice