Beginner Making 20 Gal Planted Tank

1. lucas Initiate Member

I really want to create my first aquarium, and I really like the idea of creating a planted tank that is gals. I was thinking Amano Shrimp ( Tell me how many), 1 Dwarf Gourami, and some tetras or guppies (tell me how many again. I also need to know what filter, lights, heater, tank, substrate, testing kit, and plants I should get. Thanks for helping:).
  2. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I reckon the gourami along with 8-12 guppies or tetra should work. The lights will depend on the plants you choose, and don't forget a fertilizer! As for testing kit, the API master kit is always recommended :)

See what plants are available to you first, and how much you're willing to spend. Let us know that and we can help figure out the odds and ends

3. lucas Initiate Member

4. jertan98 Member Member

My honey gourami used to hunt down my RCS, not sure if anyone had other better experiences tho.

5. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

From what I've heard, the more colorful the shrimp is, the more likely it will get attacked... but I guess there's no harm in trying
  6. lucas Initiate Member

Did your shrimp have driftwood or other places to hide?
  7. jertan98 Member Member

Yeah i had a huge piece of malaysian DW, tons of plants and some of those ceramic breeding things.

8. lucas Initiate Member

How many RCS did you start with? Because I'm thinking of starting with blue velvets since they are hardy and easy to breed, so I can get many so the DG can eat some , then introducing a dwarf gourami, and then 6-8 neon tetras.
  9. PuffersRUS Initiate Member

I like the finnex planted 24/7 lights for my setup. I have them on a timer though as the light was a little too bright in the middle of the night--especially since it's next to my bed lol. My plants have seen tremendous growth in the 2 weeks that I've had them and I think they are reasonably priced for what you get. They will definitely be bright enough and have a lot of options to mess around with
  10. lucas Initiate Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just decided to get 2 of these lights LEDMO10W LED Flood Lights,Waterproof IP65,Daylight White 6000K,Floodlight: Tools & Home Improvement. I want it to be a low tech tank.

11. toolman Well Known Member Member

Research the blue velvet shrimp, if they are a color variation of the red cherry shrimp they can't be in the same tank because when they breed you will get brown shrimp, the offspring will lose their color.

Can't remember if they're from the same family.
  12. lucas Initiate Member

They are I just meant keep only blue velvet since I like the color better.
  13. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

A dwarf gourami will hunt your blue velvets. Amanos are safer as they get bigger.

I would do this
    8-10 neons
    1 DG
    10 amano shrimp
  14. lucas Initiate Member

But I have seen community
    But i have seen community tanks with RCS and DG's... I am planning to introduce the shrimp first let them breed. I will also create many hiding places
  15. barandemir09 Member Member

I've had danios chase my amano shrimp...

Large ones too...
  16. lucas Initiate Member

Oh interesting

and does anyone know good cheap substrate I can get in Canada for a low tech planted?
  17. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

18. lucas Initiate Member

Have any recommendations since I cant get that in Canada
  19. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

It's basically a very fine black gravel. I've heard of people getting it at Tractor and Co or whatever it's called in America, I found something similar at a gardening/outdoor landscaping store where I live. Not too sure about Canada, but I'm sure you can figure out the equivalent?
  20. lucas Initiate Member

Ok thanks :)

also anyone in canada know where I can buy a 20 gal long tank they are sold out at angelfins and petsmart