Beginner in the hobby, needs help with stock ideas for a Marineland 75 gallon!

1. NESQUIK Initiate Member

Hello! I'm a beginner in the hobby, and soon I'm receiving a Marineland 75G aquarium with these dimensions: 18"L x 48"W x 21"H. I've done a lot of research into how to care for an aquarium, proper setup, cycling, etc.; stocking, however, is still a huge thing in my mind. I do have a stocking idea, but I'm not sure if the stock works for a 75G. If possible, I'd love to have the aquarium a tropical, freshwater, planted community tank!

Stock Idea #1:

10 Harlequin Rasbora
    6 to 8 Zebra Danio
    1 Bristlenose Pleco (I wanted the Starlight variety, but they seem to need blackwater...)
    6 Bronze or other species of Corydoras
    3 Honey Gourami (Two females to one male?)
    1 South American Bumblebee Catfish

I didn't know if I could add anything else or remove anything. Currently I live in a loft, and its difficult to cool the place; temperatures in my room usually stay around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and I don't know if that would be a problem. I also have almost no clue when it comes to plants in the tank...

Any help is appreciated, thank you for viewing!
    :;hi2

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us TexasDomer is good with stocking , she can probably help you. :;hi1Alison

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If your temp is going to be that high during the summers (I have the same problem) then you are going to be limited to warm water fish. The danios like it cooler so you will want to switch them out for something like rummynose tetra or cardinal tetras. There are plenty of others as well. 80 is a little warm for bn pleco as well. Switch it out for a clown pleco.

You also have the room to up your cories to about 8 or 10

4. NESQUIK Initiate Member

Thank you very much! I was worried something would be off with the danios, I love them alot but I understand the temp problem. Are rummynose/cardinal tetras harder to take care of, like more sensitive?

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't say harder to take care of. They aren't as hardy as danios but they aren't difficult to care for. There are other hardier schilling fish like harlequin rasbora or lemon tetra or cherry barbs that are quite hardy

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd get more than one bumblebee catfish - they're social and would appreciate company.

What about something like this?

15x Harlequin rasbora
    15x Rummynose tetra
    1x BN pleco
    8-10x Warm water cory (C. aeneus, etc.)
    2-5x Honey gourami or 2-5x Pearl gourami
    8-10x South American bumblebee catfish

7. NESQUIK Initiate Member

Thank you both for the advice! I'm confused though...everything I've researched about SA bumblebees is that each added bumblebee needs 10 more gallons, and that they mostly hide by themselves.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member